DjangoBooks.com

Refretting a petite bouche

Anyone on here fluent with refretting the small sound hole selmer style guitars? I like using the taylor fret buck for supporting the fret board tongue when I tap in and press/glue the frets. I don't think my fret buck is gonna' fit in this small soundhole though. Any tips and tricks or should I just slightly enlarge the fret slots over the body? FWIW, it's my personal guitar. Maybe the stew mac jaws 2 would work?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    I just try to hold a metal mass in there as best as I can and, yes, I slightly enlarge the fret slots in that area and run a little Titebond in the slot to lubricate and refill the gap a bit from enlarging the slot. But I'm just a recreational builder so maybe one of the pros will chime in.
  • donquardodonquardo New
    Thanks for the response bones. Do you clamp down those fretboard tongue frets when you glue them?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    No they are still just held in by the barbs. I just widen the slots a tiny bit so I don't have to pound them in so hard over the body.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    How'd it go Don? In my experience, without anything much backing up the soundboard, there is too much bounce/recoil to the top and you can't get a solid hammer blow. So if the slots are tight you can't just pound them in. That's why I widen the slots just a TINY bit so the tangs go in easier. Plus the liquid Titebond lubricates a bit to further ease the fret in but then hardens later to fill the slightly widened slot. Also a good idea to put just a TINY bevel on the top edge of the slot (and I mean tiny) to ease the barbs in.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    This suggestion may be totally off-base, but could you use a C-clamp arrangement and press in the frets instead of pounding them in?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah I think that would be possible. Maybe rig up some sort of custom fixture with a c-clamp or two???