DjangoBooks.com

Django's Belleville Mar 31 1942

JojoJojo London UK
in Technique Posts: 190
It's from the 'B section of the solo. Can anyone tell me the correct fingering, i.e the easiest fingering for this lick. It's from the Givan transcriptions. All the notes are correct but if anyone can tell me if a) the starting note is at 4th string 2nd fret (4/2) it would be helpful. It does sound like the triplets are played on the high strings but are there any open strings used as he plays the triplets? It's played at 228 BPM and what I thought were straightforward triplet pull-offs or slides down the string whilst picking, is completely wrong. Thanks in advance.
wim

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019 Posts: 520
    So I played thru that lick and realized I heard it quite a bit quoted by Stochelo Rosenberg
    You would start on the 4th fret. Stochelo plays that triplet lick with no open strings, here's a very similar lick which should give you an idea of how Stochelo would play that. This lick is in eminor so you will have to move this to g minor
    SDNW
  • JojoJojo London UK
    (Btw, its in D major so the F is sharpened in the transcription I posted) Yes, I've just run through it using Stochelo's fingering. Just focussing on the triplets you have to use just your first and second fingers. It's really weird doing it sliding down from 6th fret to 3rd (1st string) with one's 2nd finger and using 1st finger for the F#. The notation you supplied shows a slide downwards whereas Givan notated the notes. Doing the lick around the 3rd position with two fingers is a stretch but I guess Django and his big fingers didn't have a problem with it. And it's all picked...at speed! Thanks for the info :)
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited January 2019 Posts: 705
    Is this the version, at around 57 seconds?
  • JojoJojo London UK
    Yes. Apologies, in retrospect I should've posted the song, so thanks for that. It's a nippy bit of playing isn't it ? :)
  • MartinGMartinG MontréalNew Dupont
    Just in case it still helps :
    richter4208
  • SDNWSDNW New
    edited January 2019 Posts: 13
    So I played thru that lick and realized I heard it quite a bit quoted by Stochelo Rosenberg
    You would start on the 4th fret. Stochelo plays that triplet lick with no open strings, here's a very similar lick which should give you an idea of how Stochelo would play that. This lick is in eminor so you will have to move this to g minor

Yes! I hear Stochelo use this triplet all the time, and it's one of my favorite licks! Love its sound.
    richter4208Jojo
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I think the 653 triplet on the high e string is a slide. Also I think the 53 on the 4th string is also a slide. It sounds like he sort of slides right thru the F# to the F with the 2nd finger before picking the E on the second fret and fretting it with the first finger to me but I'd need to be able to slow it down a lot to be sure.

BTW to answer your question about how he can make the long stretches with 2 fingers I've heard people say that you need to turn your left hand slightly so the fingers are pointed more in the direction of the neck so you are not trying to spread your first two fingers completely sideways. You can reach farther that way.
    richter4208JojoMattHenry