DjangoBooks.com

Rocky Gresset strings on Gibson L-5?

Does anyone know what kind of strings uses on his L-5? I have an L-5 incoming and I would like to set it up like him since he was my inspiration for picking one up.

Thanks!

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,161
    Ha i was just on the phone w him and saw this so i asked for u.

He uses either thomastik or d addario flat wounds 12-52. He uses thomastik more often than d addario.

geese_com
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    dennis wrote: »
    Your lucky day, he even sent me a txt msg with the exact strings

https://m.thomann.de/fr/thomastik_js112_jazz_strings.htm

Awesome! Thanks, @dennis! Nothing better than straight from the source.

I'll post some pictures on here when the guitar arrives.

Your DC Music school lessons with Rocky is what inspired me to buy a Gibson L-5. He is such an amazing guitarist.

• I use the Thomasics onmy Gretsch Great strings.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • S@nderVS@nderV Rotterdam, HollandNew
    I do wonder if Rocky Gresset has the action on his L5 slightly higher than average (compared to a regular jazz guitarist) to accommodate his somewhat more aggressive picking technique. Does anybody know?
    Def not! His guitar is extremely easy to play. His picking isn’t too aggressive compared to say Tchavolo Schmitt or Angelo Debarre. In fact, I had him record on Brad Brose’s Gypsy Jazz guitar for the lesson series. He almost never plays GJ guitars , and if he does he wants them set up super low. Brad’s guitar was set up like a “normal” GJ guitar which meant that it was too hard for Rocky, he ended up having tendonitis and had to cancel two gigs because of me hahaha, but it’s OK it’s all for preserving history hahahahahah
    Bucogeese_comS@nderV
    dennis wrote: »
    Def not! His guitar is extremely easy to play. His picking isn’t too aggressive compared to say Tchavolo Schmitt or Angelo Debarre. In fact, I had him record on Brad Brose’s Gypsy Jazz guitar for the lesson series. He almost never plays GJ guitars , and if he does he wants them set up super low. Brad’s guitar was set up like a “normal” GJ guitar which meant that it was too hard for Rocky, he ended up having tendonitis and had to cancel two gigs because of me hahaha, but it’s OK it’s all for preserving history hahahahahah

Thanks for all the lessons on DC Music School. I have spent way too much money on there, but it is totally worth it because of the excellent content and because it helps support the artists.

The work you do with DC Music School and gypsy jazz is kind of like ethnomusicology since it is preserving and documenting a whole style/culture of music and sharing that knowledge with the rest of the world. Thanks for that!

BucoFeruza2134rudolfochristvanmalmsteen
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    edited January 2019 Posts: 140
    Dennis, As a follow-up to Geese_com, a big ditto on all of your terrific support and hard work!!! Wish I had more time to devour all of the wonderful and very reasonably priced materials on your site.

Rocky's tone is amazing. How are recording and amplification being done? Is he mic'd or straight into the mixing board? Any amps, pre-amps, stomp boxes, plug-ins? Any recording tips you can share?
    Feruza2134
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
    Agree with geese_com and pmg, love your stuff and your dedication and hard work denis!
    My Gibson L-5 arrived today! I just strung it up with the strings mentioned above. Now to practice to be 1/100th as good as Rocky.

46693642011_f4443391da_c.jpg

46693642001_16044bbe6c_c.jpg
    altonAndyW