DjangoBooks.com

So...did this to my bridge...

I hollowed the place in which the strings fit in the bridge to make them steady, it worked for a while and the sound was great, but now after some weeks I'm getting a Sitar sound on the 1st E string high up the neck, should I get a new bridge or is there anyway to fix this one?
Tagged:

Comments

What most likely happens is the string has enough space in the groove to vibrate against it distorting the sound or the groove needs to be shaped so that the string is well seated. Or it could be that the action has changed or frets need crowning. You could gently file the groove but only enough to make it smooth, well shaped. Check the action too, use a shim to raise the bridge on the treble side to see if it helps.
    Changing bridges is fun, cheapest way to get a different tone from the guitar and sometimes more volume too.
    Whenever I start itching for a new guitar I replace the bridge and it helps, like antibiotic for GAS.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Wow, I have to say I think the string slots look deep and very flat. When I've cut them I use a scalpel to cut a v shape notch and then various small round and v shaped files to fit the strings. It's hard to tell from the pictures but the slots for the b and e look particularly wide to me. You could try adding a shim under the the treble side of the bridge foot, a thin piece of veneer would do
    always learning
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Slots way too deep. Who cut those?! String should be sitting about 50% in 50% out.
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    String should be sitting about 50% in 50% out.

Yep, what he said.
  • Me 3 and FWIW one of the all time greats of guitar setup was a fan of V slots not round. Much less chance of string buzz with V's
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah slots look WAY too deep and also too wide. You need to have a different width slot file to match each string. Only file a tiny notch about half the diameter of the string. You could try to patch up the slots with some ebony sanding dust and epoxy or super glue but might be easier/safer to just start with a new bridge blank. Or just take it to a luthier who knows how to set up GJ guitars.
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Cheapest way to get a good selection of suitable files is the sets that welders use to clean tips, available from welding supply shops for a few dollars. A set has the right sizes for most string gauges.
    Yeah best to replace the bridge...
    I got one of these notch file sets off the eBay, works fine:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/14pc-Guitar-String-Instrument-Metal-Nut-Slot-Bridge-Flat-Saw-Rods-File-Set-Tool/253615372422
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Buco wrote: »
    Yeah best to replace the bridge...
    I got one of these notch file sets off the eBay, works fine:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/14pc-Guitar-String-Instrument-Metal-Nut-Slot-Bridge-Flat-Saw-Rods-File-Set-Tool/253615372422
    Exactly what I meant. It is only recently that some imaginative folks have started selling these as 'guitar tools' but they have been used by welders for years. Different sizes to clean the carbon and slag build up on different size torch tips and a flat file for the outside surface on the end.....bet you wondered what the flat file was for?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Welding-Tip-Cleaner-with-Stainless-Steel-Reamers-4-Welder-Soldering-/311413289559
    Bucowim
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    For shimming, I've had good luck with banding strips of that wood veneer for table edging...

...you know the one you can use an iron to heat up and awaken the glue thats pre-applied to the back...

A strip of that stuff might get you out of your jackpot...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."