DjangoBooks.com

Ischell Feedback Issues

Hey everyone,

I have the Ischell inside box + CPJ and have been have been experiencing terrible feedback when playing through an AER compact 60. The low cut at 360Hz helps but the feedback is still too bad to play this thing at gigs. Changing the placement doesn't fix the problem either. Has anyone else experienced feedback with an Ischell?

Thanks,
Will

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Bummer. I’ve had my Ischell for about five years and never had this problem.

Maybe you should send it back for a replacement unit?
    dm7b5wdickerson
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • tbleentbleen Astoria QueensNew Gaffiero
    First time I stuck on my Ischell it worked like a charm. Then I had removed it and placed it back on and had this feedback issue -- it was unbearable. But with patience with the placement and working with the putty, I can crank it up without feedback on my AER (Gain and master volume at about half up, which is loud enough for most bar gigs)

You really have to create a solid "donut" shape with the putty and make sure there are no air holes or openings and the mic is really nestled in there tight. Give the mic a good push into the putty. Also, I found the placement of the mic did affect the feedback. Mine is now just inside of the bridge under the A/D strings and works well.
    dm7b5wdickerson
  • wdickersonwdickerson Austin, TXNew Holo #73
    Thanks tbleen, I adjusted the placement and seal yesterday and it sounded great at my gig with no feedback! Appreciate the help.
  • wdickersonwdickerson Austin, TXNew Holo #73
    In case someone else is having trouble with their Ischell, it turns out I was using the wrong cables! I was using balanced TRS cables instead of unbalanced TS, which the instructions call for. I switched to TS and it's sounding great!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    That’s good. I hope you are as happy with yours as I have been with my Ischell.

Hey, I hate to sound like a broken record but.... as I’ve often mentioned around here, I finally mounted my Ishell pickup inside the guitar body under the bridge between the A and D strings.

Sounds stupid, but it worked perfectly and now I don’t have deal with that gummed-look and the little thin wire... plus you get this nice natural reverb that fattens the sound a bit... check it out!

Merry solstice celebration of your choice,

Will
    Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."