DjangoBooks.com

Rodrigo Shopis Guitars

124»

Comments

• John GillJohn Gill
    Rodrigo made me a guitar a few years ago and it is a spectacular instrument. He is a very skilled craftsman and does great work. Highly recommended.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    You should be able to locate him on facebook.

Rodrigo is a wonderful guy and one of the great modern builders. I've owned three of his guitars, my latest one being a custom design that he and I worked out together. His guitars are meticulously crafted and sound wonderful. He doesn't try to slavishly reproduce a vintage sound but instead creates his own interpretation of the gypsy guitar. I've played and owned guitars by many of the great builders and have always found that Rodrigo's simply seem to suit me best.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • mandocatmandocat Santa Rosa, CA✭✭✭ AJL XO, Eastman 905CE, PRS SE
    Considering how much people like Shopis guitars (including me), it surprised me that a D'Artagnan Model F was for sale on Djangobooks for about a year before it went at a "Blow Out" price. Someone got a great deal on a very nice handmade guitar.
  • John GillJohn Gill
    In addition to what I said previously, I wanted to mention that Rodrigo's guitars also work well in a variety of non-gypsy applications. I've used mine with excellent results as a rhythm instrument in a traditional jazz setting, it handles fingerpicking very well and it's served me well playing vintage country/western music, folk and blues. So it really is an excellent choice for an all around acoustic guitar in my opinion. And I was also surprised that one sat for so long on this website at a bargain price. Someone got a winner.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    what's his website?
    He doesn't maintain one from what I know. Does all his internet presence via Facebook.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL

That was me that got the great deal on the Favino style Shopis that Michael listed for a while. The price was too good to pass up, and it is a great, great guitar. The other guitar player in the band had one and now we both play a shopis. Very happy with it and my other GJ guitars have been mostly in their cases since I got the Shopis.

Buco