DjangoBooks.com

What is this? (Aiersi)

Hey everyone,

as a beginner in gypsy jazz I know nothing about gypsy jazz guitars.
Can you tell me if this a budget guitar or a counterfeit please?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Archtop-Grande-Bouche-Maccaferri-Manouche-Semler-Django-Gypsy-Jazz-Guitar/163319414990?epid=6002819143&hash=item26069880ce:g:89AAAOSw3h1ZPNGO:rk:31:pf:0
Thanks in advance,
Manny

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Budget.
    mschafft
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    edited November 2018 Posts: 921
    I have one of these. It's nowhere near a gypsy sound, avoid if you can. It's a budget guitar.
    mschafft
    always learning
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Yeah, I mistakenly bought a cheap Aersi a few years ago, absolute rubbish. Not only nowhere near what you want for the Gypsy Jazz sound, but poorly made and no good for ANY style really, not even a campfire strummer.
  • mschafftmschafft New
    edited November 2018 Posts: 25
    Thanks. I'm still working on the used Stagg JZ120 I picked up the other day. The Argentine 10s should be delivered this morning. One budget guitar is enough I guess. Somwhere down the line I'll invest in a proper Gypsy Jazz guitar but I defintely want to skip the Aersi. Any brands you'd recommend in the $1000 range?
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    mschafft wrote: »
    ...........Any brands you'd recommend in the $1000 range?
    Oh no not that argument again!
    This must be the most often asked question on here, and you will get many replies recommending the writer's respective favorites, so there will be Altamira v Gitane, or some who say go even cheaper as a Cigano is just as good, and others who will say, wait and save a bit more until you can buy a 'luthier made' guitar in the belief that such a thing is automatically better than a 'factory made' guitar.
    All of the above, and more is inevitable, and I don't even understand why the same people still feel the need to voice their personal opinion, as all these choices have their merits and their faults.
    I could tell you what my favorite guitars are but why bother when they won't necessarily be right for you.
    No, there is only one answer and that is for you to try as many as you can within the limits of your geography and accessible dealers or private sellers or whatever is available to you that you can try.
    If none of that is possible and you are obliged to buy, untried, online, then you may as well just draw straws, as the only thing that is certain is that while everypone has an opinion, they will all be different and quite probably not match yours.
    Good luck!

rudolfochristmschafft
  • mschafftmschafft New
    Thanks and sorry for beating a horse dead to you but very much alive to me... Anybody else want to chime in?
  • @mschafft - Try the search engine box at the top right corner. You'll get an entire history of what some folks value as opposed to others. Additionally, there's a relatively new forumite who has asked the same questions.

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/16537/altamira-m01-or-gitane-dg250m/p1
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/16541/best-budget-gig-worthy-guitar/p1
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/16551/jwc-primajazz#latest

I understand that this is now your own exploration of what is best. I'd suggest by starting at these links. Put some guitars in your hands and play.
    mschafft
  • mschafftmschafft New
    Thanks for the links and explanations. I am playing btw...
  • mschafftmschafft New
    (double post)
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    I guess when you’re a manufacturer trying to make a guitar for every taste, you’ll get failures.

I have an Aiersi tricone resonator that is superb, but I’ve never heard positive things about their sel-mac style guitars.
    mschafft