DjangoBooks.com

Easiest Django solo's to start transcribing

Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
Hey guys, i have heard a lot of great things about transcribing but i dont want to instantly try to transcribe a really hard solo so it will demotivate me, do you guys know any Django solo's that are pretty easy to transcribe?
Thanks!!!

Comments

• PetrovPetrov ✭✭
    edited November 2018 Posts: 125
    My first was honeysuckle rose and Swing 39; the earlier versions.

I would suggest taking something that you like. Or take 1 chorus or a few bars instead to not get overwhelmed. It can be difficult at first, but it gets better the more you transcribe (learn by ear).

Having some software to slow, loop and adjust the pitch is also a bonus.
  • mandocatmandocat Santa Rosa, CA✭✭✭ AJL XO, Eastman 905CE, PRS SE
    First one I did using Transcribe to slow down & isolate notes was HCQ Strut. It's all single notes - no chords, nothing too fast and very interesting to me. Also not too difficult is Swing 42.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Many people start with I'll see you in my dreams. It's easy enough, nice key for jazz (F), medium tempo, and it's all Django. No boring violin solo to skip ;)

The actual note choices are almost entirely "inside", so it's pretty easy to remember assuming you know the chords already. In canonical Django style, a lot of the beauty in the solo comes from his phrasing and syncopation, so it's a good one to study for that reason.
    adrian
  • Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
    I already know i'll see you in my dreams =)
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I found “Rose Room” to be pretty easy except for one super fast riff...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • mandocatmandocat Santa Rosa, CA✭✭✭ AJL XO, Eastman 905CE, PRS SE
    Scratch my HCQ Strut suggestion. It was the first tune I transcribed but it's an example of a nice solo in a tune that you rarely hear played in jams. A better suggestion would be to learn a couple of the Django solos for Dark Eyes. These are really beautiful examples of Django's style of playing and they are longer so you can see how he uses different techniques to add interest.
  • What solos do you like?
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Nuages (1940)
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    The solos you like are the best solos to transcribe. People need to learn to find their own path. Transcribing isn’t enough, you need to do it intelligently to get something out of your transcriptions, or else you’re just figuring out notes one at a time (Which is already a good thing but barely scratching the surface of what you can get out of doing it intelligently)
    Jim Kaznoskydjangology
  • Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar

This is one of the solo's like the most, just listen how he starts it!
    steffo