DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo Bergara licks and chord progression

Hi guys,

wondering if someone could help me with the chord progression of this cover by Gonzalo and Max playing "Autumn leaves" in this video:

And in this other video, I get a bit crazy trying to play what both players are making in the interlude that starts at min 2:36 and ends around min 4:06 min. I think is awesome but get lost with the 2 guitars:

Any help will be welcome,

Jose

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Autumn Leaves the first chord is f minor.......transpose the rest of the song yourself. Its good practice.
    wimJosechiky
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Interesting I think the original key is Em (Gmaj)?? Wonder why they did it in Fm. Different tone or just for fingering or ???
    Josechiky
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Bones wrote: »
    Interesting I think the original key is Em (Gmaj)?? Wonder why they did it in Fm. Different tone or just for fingering or ???

Cm reads as Dm on clarinet and sax. One flat, I guess someone played it a lot with woodwind.

G minor is most common key for this tune, reads as Am/C no accidentals.

D.

Josechiky
  • Max_O.RourkeMax_O.Rourke VermontNew
    edited November 2018 Posts: 7
    Hey guys,

Autumn leaves was originally written in G-. We do it in C- because when we started playing it, Leah was singing (the song sits in her range better that way). We kept it there because it sounds nice. People only do it in E- because it's the way it's written in the realbook. You'll find most (not all but a good deal) of the great instrumental versions are in G-:

Examples:
    Bill Evans:
    Miles Davis:

Other than subs we throw in when we feel like it, it's pretty standard.

A
    ||: F-7 |Bb7 |Ebmaj7 |Abmaj7 |D-7(b5) | G7 | C-6 |(C7) : ||

B
    | D-7(b5) | G7 |C-6 |(C7) | F-7 |Bb7 |Ebmaj7 |Abmaj7 |
    |D-7(b5) |G7 | C-7 (B-7)|Bb-7 A7 | Ab7 | G7 | C-6 |(C7) ||

I think the only thing we do somewhat consistently is play C-maj7 at the end of both sections during the head instead of C-6, but both work the same way and sound nice on top of each other.

As far as the "interlude" in the other song goes, it was all made up and goes kind of all over the place harmonically. If you want to play along and find yourself lost, copy the bass player. JP lays it down just holding Cs in octaves.

Hope this helps.

Max

JosechikyPetrovjonpowlBucot-birdBillDaCostaWilliams
  • JosechikyJosechiky
    Hi guys,

Thank you very much for the advices and the helping hand!

Max, thank you very much for the chords. I had a rough idea of the progression but I wanted to see it written correctly because, as the other mates point out, it was a simple transposition of the original tone of the theme. Anyway, sometimes I get lost myself with so much inversion of chords, something that happens to me for comitting the big mistake of following the video. It could be useful to see and make an approach in which area of the fretboard you are playing, but that, unless you are smart or being acquainted with it (not my case), you can end up losing yourself.

The best thing is to guide youself by the ear! As Robben Ford stated in his superb instructional video "The blues and beyond", you should "let your ears be your guiding factor".

Regarding the ohter tune, "December", about a year ago I asked Gonzalo a personal request to transcribe the song (now it´s on sale in his website), so I already had the progression of chords and melody, but i get lost again in that "interlude" I mentioned. Well, I guess I still to work hard with that piece!!

Thanks again!

By the way, good disc of "Disquiet" and highly recommended. I bought it from Amazon and loved it!

Regards.
    Max_O.Rourke
  • charliedcharlied New
    Hey, I'm new to this forum and I had also much liked Gonzalo's version of Autumn Leaves so I had transcribed it. I've just uploaded it on soundslice if you want you can check it out here https://www.soundslice.com/slices/M93cc/
    It's neither flawless, nor finished (but at least all the first part before the bass solo is there) and I havent looked at the fingering also so it's most likely non sense.
    AndyWBonesadrianJosechikyBillDaCostaWilliams
  • JosechikyJosechiky
    Charlied, I´ve just seen your post. Thank you so much for sharing your transcription. Please, keep going! Have you thought about changing the fingering to match the one used by Gonzalo in the video?