DjangoBooks.com

Best cheap pickup?

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    I voted for the Krivo Nuevo previously as it fits my 'Chorus' style F-hole guitar easily and sounds good too.
    But I have since read posts from Feruza2134 asking about 'budget' guitars in the Altamira/Eastman/Gitane range which implies he is looking for a petite bouche Selmer copy.
    If so, I can strongly recommend the Kleio 47 for that late '40s electric Django sound at half the price of a Stimer.
    Just make sure the guitar you want to fit it to does not have a fingerboard extension that reaches over the soundhole as that will get in the way in which case you will have to order a leftie and fit it to the other side of the hole.
    Tomas
  • morriconemorricone Asterstein, Koblenz, GermanyNew Cigano GJ10 Harley Benton HBMC 500
    I have a Surdo pickup which I can recommend. Cheap too
  • morriconemorricone Asterstein, Koblenz, GermanyNew Cigano GJ10 Harley Benton HBMC 500
    I have a Surdo pickup which I can recommend. Cheap too
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000! These were the gold standard for jazz guitar throughout the 50s. The reissues are great and only $134 on this here website:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/dearmond-rhythm-chief-1000-gold

You'd probably have to solder your own input jack on it and mount it with putty or a "monkey on a stick"
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 4,738
    @V-dub how's the b string?
    I have a vintage knock-off of DeArmond, not sure which model would this thing be, and love the sound but the b string is very hot.
    I'm probably gonna offer it for sale soon.
    That'll be one cheap pickup.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    @Buco I personally haven't noticed too much of an issue with the B string jumping out with the DeArmond. But I've definitely heard that complaint before from others and have experienced it with other pickups in the past.

Is that vintage knock-off a Kent? I've tried those and thought they also sounded really nice
  • Love my DeArmond DeArmond Rhythm Chief on my Eastman AR610. Mine has screw poles to balance volume. Not sure how it would fit on a GJ guitar, but I have an added pick guard for volume pot.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    rgrice wrote: »
    Love my DeArmond DeArmond Rhythm Chief on my Eastman AR610. Mine has screw poles to balance volume. Not sure how it would fit on a GJ guitar, but I have an added pick guard for volume pot.

@rgrice we have a putty mounted version here: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/dearmond-rhythm-chief-1000-gold-gypsy

We’ll also have a Monkey on a Stick version up soon as well.

The DeArmonds sound really nice on Gypsy guitars as they produce a classic single coil jazz tone.

Thanks,

M
  • @MichaelHorowitz I was thinking only of Monkey on a Stick version. Love the sound on my Eastman so much that if I didn't have the Peche, I'd definitely go with that one and save a ton of money to boot. They look so freakin cool too!
    MichaelHorowitz
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 4,738
    @V-dub no idea what brand it might be. Would like to find out. Here's the picture of it. (getting a dreaded "file failed to upload")
    https://ibb.co/9ZsQGbt
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel