DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (1)

• Russell Letson 2:13PM

Today's Birthdays

MichaelHorowitz eenihicma6 notjustpeanuts

What do you think of this tailpiece ?

124»

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Buco-

Edit- to be clear and more to the point of your question, the TENSION on each string is determined by the distance between the nut and bridge (and gage of course). What happens between the bridge and tailpiece doesn't really SIGNIFICANTLY affect string tension (although it probably has a lesser order effect that isn't really noticeable). For example, if you took a regular 'flat top' guitar (where the strings REALLY do terminate at the bridge) and strung it up with the same strings as you put on your Selmac, and the scale was the same, I bet you would not notice much difference in string tension. In fact, they would be virtually identical when tuned up to the same pitch.
    Buco
  • pdgpdg ✭✭
    Jimmy D'Aquisto's archtop tailpieces have shorter afterlengths on the bass side.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah, then there's the old Epi "Frequencator". I found this on the web:

"The short fork on the bass side results in a deeper tone. The longer fork is used on the treble side for extra brilliance. The forks are interchangeable for varying tone as well as string tension. Epiphone used them to change the tension on the strings. By making the bass strings longer through the tailpiece, the tension is higher and stiffer, making for a "tighter" bottom end sound, while the shorter top strings would have looser tension and therefore easier to play solos on the higher strings and upper frets of the instrument."

That doesn't make any sense at all. Actually though, I doubt it much affects tone and it doesn't affect tension really at all. It will, though, affect longitudinal STIFFNESS somewhat and that might be noticeable to the player for bends.

As far as tension goes the equation for a vibrating string (frequency, f) is only a function of length between the bridge and nut (L), tension (T) and density (u)

f = (1/2L) x (T/u)^^.5

Sure there may be some slight variation to that equation if you modeled what is going on between the bridge and tailpiece but the affect would be very small. The equation above is probably 99.99999% of what is going on. String length between the bridge and tailpiece just doesn't really affect string TENSION for a given frequency.

That said those Frequensators look kinda cool. I think it's really just aesthetics. I may think about putting one with 2 short forks on a Selmac sometime except then I couldn't use loop ends. Hmmmm.....
    Buco
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira MF01, Godefroy Maruejouls
    I finally fitted the Boonstra tailpiece and it definitely makes a difference to the guitar. Previously I found the bass side of things to be slightly muddy and all the strings felt stiff. Bending was also a real issue. After fitting the Boonstra I find the guitar is slightly brighter with a touch more volume and bending is much easier. The only downside is a slight ringing but this is barely noticeable and could probably be fixed with some felt under the taipiece - my next job.
    Buco
    always learning
  • jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    Looks great.

My guess if there's any benefit tone wise, it'd be in less string to ring behind the bridge on the trebles...

• BonesBones Moderator
    Interesting thanks for the update CP. One other thing to mention is with the higher posts on the bass side it makes less of a 'break' angle of the string over the bridge which gives less downward force on the bridge. Not sure if that would affect volume. I played with an adjustable tailpiece on an archtop once and with the lower angle it decreased volume but an archtop is a slightly different animal.

For the ringing, it might be the tailpiece itself or the long bit of strings between the bridge and tailpiece. To damp the strings weave or wrap some cloth or Velcro or something thru/over them. Yeah also need felt under the tailpiece.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira MF01, Godefroy Maruejouls
    Just to say that there's no loss of volume on the bass side which seems to go against expectations. The ringing isn't as bad as some guitars I've heard and I will put some chamois leather - my preferred material - under the tailpiece. I think it's the strings behind the tailpiece that are responsible for the slight ringing sound. And the other thing to note is that the tailpiece only accepts loop end strings.
    always learning