DjangoBooks.com

New Django live recording

2»

Comments

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited October 2018 Posts: 768
    On the first record (striped one) the french voice gives indications on microphones placement : “ the microphone is placed near the piano and in the axis of the (double) bass in order to let the brass slightly out so to have more security and the global ribbon microphone is placed near the singers when they will come to sing and low to the stage”
    BucoSvanis1337
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Ah voiila Stompin at the Savoy, thanks Spatzo
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    spatzo wrote: »
    Before Perdido the tune seems “Stompin’ at the Savoy”

I agree, it does sound very much like "Stompin' at the Savoy" but the announcer definitely says "Shuffle Bug". However, I have never heard of a tune called "Shuffle Bug". B)

That slow blues is so good and Django's sound is very forward. After a while you just tune out the record noise and get lost in the music.
    Svanis1337
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    There is one “Shuffle Bug” by the Griffin Brothers but there is also a “Shufflebug Shuffle” by Benny Carter and I think that’s the tune

wim
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    spatzo wrote: »
    There is one “Shuffle Bug” by the Griffin Brothers but there is also a “Shufflebug Shuffle” by Benny Carter and I think that’s the tune

That sounds like it Spatzo. Well found!! :)

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Probably copyright didn’t exist in those times...
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018 Posts: 459
    To answer AndyW: It's very possible the missing pieces are with a collector or lost in some archives somewhere, perhaps unlabeled even. I'm unsure if the radio stations each cut their own discs, or if copies were made that got shipped across Europe to all the stations.

Daniel Nevers mentions in 1999 in the Liner Notes for Intégrale #12 that the following discs couldn't be found in either American or French archives: Blue Blazes, Midriff, Me and Brother Bill, Moonlight In Vermont, Night And Day and Rockin' In Rhythm from one part of the concert, also missing were Solitude, Take the 'A' Train, Chelsea Bridge, Caravan, and The Lady In Bed from another part. Shuffle Bug, Perdido and There I've Said It Again (end of Swing Guitars) weren't even mentioned so they are perhaps previously unknown. So if you see any old acetate discs with those titles, have a listen. :) Does anyone have the program for the concert?
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Fact is that there were at least 3 concerts...well let’s say one concert and two studio sessions.