DjangoBooks.com

New Django live recording

PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Welcome Posts: 426
If you are not on Facebook, you might not know that a new recording of Django was found today. It is from the 1945 concert with the ATC band. It comes from Radio Luxembourg archives that were sold in the 90's. The guy who had it shared it on his website 78tours.com but didnt really share it further. Somebody of the GJ community found that while doing other research and was happily surprised.

Enjoy
Jam session Django ATC

Note: I didnt find it and I am not the original owner of the discs.
BucoMichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliamsadrianwimrudolfochristSvanis1337François RAVEZ

Comments

• PetrovPetrov ✭✭
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Thanks for the heads up! I transcribed the whole thing here: https://www.soundslice.com/slices/Q2Rcc/

Several classic Django ideas/licks in there.

Adrian
    wimMichaelHorowitzTeddy DupontBucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    There is now loads more of the concert on youtube. An incredible find.
    Svanis1337adrianelias t.BucoMichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliams
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018 Posts: 459
    Wow! Incredible! Never thought something like this would turn up. Would be nice to see the discs professionally cleaned, the owner of the discs seems to be knowledgable on the subject of 78's.
    Some of the recordings seem to contain the last part of the previous tune on them, or the first part of the preceding, this is because to get a continuous recording, you had to use two record lathes and record on two discs and alternate between them, or there would be no sound while you changed discs.

A few of these titles are already released on Frémeaux & Associés - Django Reinhardt Intégrale Vol. 12, sourced from American Forces Network (AFN) discs, I believe. Some are completely new, but all of them you can tell have very good audio fidelity behind the noise! :)

Interesting that Radio Luxembourg had an auction for their 78's. There was a recording of Django with Jacques Helian's orchestra in 1950 for Radio Luxembourg that went missing. It was present in the 60's according to Daniel Nevers, and is listed in several discographies. Maybe it got sold off at the same time as these ones?

OLD:
    NEW:
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    edited October 2018 Posts: 545
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Thanks Adrian for the transcription.

Regarding the new recordings posted, I have a question: the one labelled Uptown Blues is not Uptown Blues but does anybody remember the actual name?
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    The announcer seems to call it "Shuffle Bug".
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    if this is from the 16th December '45 concert, I read that BBC, Radio Diffusion Francaise and American Forces Network all recorded it along with Radio Luxemburg - so might there be out other material or recordings ?? would all the broadcasters use the same one piece of recording equipment ??
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited October 2018 Posts: 768
    Here’s a list to the whole recordings published:

Face rayée

Jam session

Swing guitars

Apple Honey part 1

Apple Honey part 2

Manoir de mes rêves

Are you in the mood

Blues in B Flat

Uptown Blues