DjangoBooks.com

New Altamira just arrived - I'm curious

124»

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Bones wrote: »
    I can't imagine building a guitar in Asia and shipping it all the way to the US and having the setup stay put although that really only applies to 'action'. That would not explain why the moustache pieces are in the wrong spot. Side to side 'centering' of the strings on the neck is not what I call 'setup'. That's just basic assembly.

Which is where I came in.........
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    I'll chime in here since I have experience with all the companies mentioned. I worked for Saga/Gitane years ago in both San Francisco and Shanghai, where their China office is. I work part-time at Eastman now and though I have never worked for Altamira, I know the company and have a great relationship with it's owner.

In the case of Eastman, Dennis is correct. The guitars arrive in Pomona from Beijing and they are checked and adjusted in LA before going dealers. They are first setup in Beijing and test played (usually by me), but after a month or more on the water in transit, instruments will change, wood will move due to temperature and humidity, so naturally after they arrive in the US, are there for a bit to acclimate, they are checked and setup/adjusted again before going to dealers. Ditto for the EU guitars that arrive in Holland for setup before going to EU dealers.

By the way, Saga does the same thing with their Gitanes in South San Francisco before sending to dealers. The Taiwanese owned factory who manufactures the guitars in South China does a very basic setup but the bulk of the setup and adjustment is in SSF.

Altamira I really cannot comment regarding initial setup because it's been several years since I have played one (other than the one I own) let alone a new one.

wim
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah that makes sense Git. I will say that both my factory guitars (Gallatos) shipped from Europe surprisingly required NO setup whatsoever and have been very stable for years so I guess it's possible but I still think it's unlikely that a guitar made over seas would NOT require some setup upon arrival.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    As @gitpicker and @bones mentioned, the changes in climate that these instruments go through can undo even the best of setups. This is particularly true of the Asian made instruments as generally the woods haven't been aged as long as the hand-built European instruments, making them more temperamental and sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity.

We setup all the Altamiras here very carefully and our tech Josh, who has been doing this for over 15 years and has easily setup over a 1000 Gypsy guitars at this point, really knows how to get them dialed in. But alas, we live in what is probably the world's most forgiving climate, with very little little seasonal variation in temperature and humidity. So when we ship guitars to a very dry climate (i.e. the South West or the East Coast/Midwest in the winter) inevitably the guitar will dry out somewhat and the top will fall, resulting in lower action. Conversely, when shipping to a more humid climate (which is what happened in the case of @acalvane92 guitar,) the top will rise resulting in very high action. Sometimes the customer can normalize the instrument by returning it to a 50% humidity environment (which is what Anthony did here) and the guitar will often revert to the original setup specs, sometimes not.

Ultimately, this is just the reality of shipping wood products around the world so it's really just about managing it as best we can. Fortunately, here at DjangoBooks we offer super awesome five star service :) , so you'll always be taken care of no matter what happens. In Anthony's case, we offered to have him send the guitar back for another setup, replace it entirely, or send another bridge so a local tech could set it up to his specs/climate. He really liked the sound of the guitar so we sent another bridge and he'll get it dialed in there which is always the best thing.

-Michael
    vanmalmsteenBucoBonesBillDaCostaWilliams
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yes what Michael said and that doesn't stop once one gets the guitar properly setup and stabilized at the destination. Temp and humidity changes can cause big dimensional changes (and stresses) in a guitar in an uncontrolled environment if not mitigated with temp/humidity controls. Store in a case with a humidifier if need be. Do not store in sunlight or next to an exterior wall (especially one that faces the afternoon sunlight). Etc. etc. 70F and 50% RH if possible.
  • DjangoJayDjangoJay New
    @alcalvane92 Directly answering your question about the bridge and treble side moustache gap, my Altamira M01 is exactly the same. After owning it for over a year now it's never caused any problems (or made me aware of it) and I'm still very happy with the guitar.

I guess it's hard to comment whether it's a fault or not without lining up a few M01s, comparing against different models is irrelevant as all manufacturers will do things slightly differently.

Whats the serial number? Maybe mines close. I hope you get it playing the way you like it though, mine has served me well :)
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 2
    Hello all, I just received a new M30D Antique and I also Ironically live in Atlanta GA and just received my guitar Monday of this week. The set up on mine is incredible. I have been playing guitar electric and acoustic for decades but this is my first venture into gypsy guitar. I told Michael everything about this guitar is amazing. I'm of course happy since I just got a new toy. But the neck and set up are fantastic on mine. So sorry to hear you have problems with yours. I am not sure what happened on your guitar other than the bridge possibly shifting or something like that. I've had all kinds of things happen with instruments and amps and being shipped through the years. Played with a drummer whose high end drum went weird. Wood can sometimes do odd things but I've received and shipped in every possible weather with no problems other than a nitro finished Strat stuck for days in a train car and the finish was really checked but the guitar otherwise ok. I hope its a fluke and you get it set up where you are happy with it. but I have no doubt by playing mine that it was ok when it left Michael and something went wrong after. Hope you get it worked out and enjoy playing it soon!
    Cheers
    MichaelHorowitz
  • DeuxDoigts_TonnerreDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre Lawrenceville GA USANew Stringphonic #503 Basic, Altamira M30D, Eastman AR810CE, Giannini Craviola
    Welcome to the forum Hickorywind. Good to know we have another Altamira picker here in the Atlanta area. I also have an Altamira M30D that I got about 5 or 6 years ago from Michael. The neck is incredibly comfortable to me. And it is LOUD!!!
    MichaelHorowitzHickorywind
    Hi thank you , I've always wanted to try a gypsy Guitar and after reading here and seeing the reviews and talking with Michael decided on the M30D.
    it is loud ! I love the neck it has just a bit more shoulders than a friends 1930's Broman King resonator. This guitar cuts I think it could hang or punch through about anything acoustic. Now I've got to try a learn a new technique!
    DeuxDoigts_Tonnerre
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    My M30 has served me well over the years. Many, many gigs and recordings. I upgraded my tailpiece, bridge and tuners, and prefer the sound to some French luthier made instruments I’ve played. It is now set up with one of Jokko Descendre’s new pickups, and I’m set for live performances.
    MichaelHorowitzHickorywind