DjangoBooks.com

Eastman Gypsy Guitars Coming

191011121315»

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    edited October 2018 Posts: 2,161
    I don’t see any bad press for Altamira. In that thread, it wasn’t a big deal that the bridge didn’t touch the moustache.

I’ve tried just about every popular GJ guitar there is.

However, it certainly is known that Altamiras do not come set-up, and that Altamiras are simply not worth buying unless the dealer can set it up for you, or you know someone who can do it. Some dealers actually do set it up once it reaches their shop, others don’t (or ask for extra).

So in that department, Eastman definitely wins, as they seem to really make sure everything is ready to go once it reaches their workshop. For its price range, Eastman is definitely the best guitar you can get in Gypsy Jazz.

However, I also want to mention the brand new and little advertised Altamira Model M (not M01 , just M), that comes fully setup at 650$. At that price , in my opinion, it’s the best super budget GJ guitar. I got one for my homestay students, but I find myself using it all the time.

I think it boils down to how much money you ‘re willing to spend. If money is a big issue, the Altamira is the way to go. If you have a couple of hudnred dollars more to spend, Eastman is the way!

BillDaCostaWilliamsdm7b5
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited October 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Yup, what Chris said, is a big reason why I build my own stuff (guitars, boats, houses) so I can try whatever the heck I want. :-) If you want custom work it is expensive to hire someone to build you a "one off". That said I have a couple nice, commercial Selmer "copies" and they are also great guitars for a good value. It's all good. For a commercial "mass produced" (quotes emphasized) maker they have to pick a design and try to be as consistent as possible so it makes sense that they would start with a "traditional" design.

But, heck yeah, I hope I get the chance to road test one of the Eastmans!
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited October 2018 Posts: 6,153
    @dennis
    dennis wrote: »
    However, I also want to mention the brand new and little advertised Altamira Model M (not M01 , just M), that comes fully setup at 650$. At that price , in my opinion, it’s the best super budget GJ guitar. I got one for my homestay students, but I find myself using it all the time.

Good timing, we just got these in!

http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/altamira-model-m

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    dennis wrote: »
    I don’t see any bad press for Altamira. In that thread, it wasn’t a big deal that the bridge didn’t touch the moustache......
    Yes Dennis, you already said that elsewhere, but many others will disagree and read the story in that post as just another one of many that have been critical of the (lack of) quality control at Altamira.
    I have not yet heard about anyone having to pay a luthier/repairperson to correct faults on Eastman guitars.
    Bones wrote: »
    .......If you want custom work it is expensive to hire someone to build you a "one off". That said I have a couple nice, commercial Selmer "copies" and they are also great guitars for a good value...... quote]

Exactly, and if one can afford to look in the $3k to$5k range there are many luthiers, in France and elsewhere, that are making some great individual designs in the GJ genre; some as stocked at DjangoBooks, some you will have to seek out for yourself.

Having tried many others down the years, some vintage, some new, I have now settled on a beautiful 'Chorus' style model made to my specs by Tony Petrarca and a Gitane DG-250M as my two favorites, which certainly represent both the 'unique custom made', and the 'mass-produced in Asia' sectors. Both are well made, both look and sound good and understandably one cost three times more than the other.
  • joechoojoechoo New
    I've got mine ordered at$_1250.00.i contacted Eastman and they have started production and should be able to fill all the orders by the end of the year. I can't wait to get mine!
  • JDRookeJDRooke New
    So, they are available and in many hands now. Where are the user reviews of the Eastmans? I had a great-sounding small-bodied Eastman archtop once that would chip down to ugly plywood looking material when you looked at it wrong. I'm wondering how these new ones will pan out over time.