DjangoBooks.com

Eastman Gypsy Guitars Coming

Comments

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    meanwhile, on facebook, a tricky question is asked.....
    gitpicker wrote: »
    A fun demo at home. Eastman DM1 and my 1998 Favino for reference.
    Thanks, Doug. Great comparison and playing.
    vanmalmsteenMichaelHorowitzJose
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    I’m sold !
  • Interesting to compare the sound of @Rob MacKillop s Eastman and @gitpicker 's Eastman

Some is due to Mic some to player but beyond that they do seem a little different
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    AndyW wrote: »
    Yeah, you would think they would at least TRY to make a small difference when renaming a new line, maybe just the rosette or the tailpiece would be enough?

• gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    If these do well, there will be potential for their OWN take on a gypsy guitar but to begin this endeavor a strait up traditional guitar was made first. The thinking was any person (or company) getting into making these guitars is going to be judged on how well they are able to make a traditional model first.

On the other hand, going on the Djangobooks guitars page, the guitars are almost all copies or at least based off the same design, of course they all look pretty damn similar.

This is also why Eastman's DM1 also comes in a classic finish and the relic version is coming soon. Those have the Eastman look.
    Bones
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
    AndyW wrote: »
    Yeah, you would think they would at least TRY to make a small difference when renaming a new line, maybe just the rosette or the tailpiece would be enough?

Hi Chris, I definitely don't disagree. Of course that's why they also have put out their "classic finish" top version like Rob's guitar, so it DOES look a bit different. That's an Eastman signature finish. Also the DM2 antique varnish version is coming soon now. It has a Walnut neck and a true French polish finish.

I would love to see more distinct personality and individuality in gypsy guitars but honestly, how much of that do we really see? Also from the perspective of a builder, what do the vast majority of buyers/players tend to purchase? Usually nothing that strays too far from tradition in this scene of ours.

However, I can say that once they get a couple traditional models out in the world, Eastman is exactly the kind of company that would love to build something unique and their own take on a GJ guitar. One step at a time though.
    MichaelHorowitzBonesBillDaCostaWilliams
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    Interesting to compare the sound of @Rob MacKillop s Eastman and @gitpicker 's Eastman

Some is due to Mic some to player but beyond that they do seem a little different

Absolutely. I think that with online recordings there are so many factors from one's hands, strings, pick, distance from mic, speakers, etc. How can they possibly sound the same.

I do work with Eastman in China though and I can tell you, after having played a whole bunch of these things, they are pretty darn consistent. I would think they are as consistent as they could be considering every piece of wood is different and there is no getting away from at least some variation as we all know.

I am an honest observer though and what I have found is that the natural top DM1s seem to have the most punch and crispiness, for some reason the DM1s with the classic top finish seem to be just ever so slightly mellower. Really it's just a little bit though. Not a bad thing at all, just a hair less bite but more mellowness. A matter of preference really.

Then there's the DM2s, varnish finish and Walnut neck. This definitely have a different personality to me. More open from the start, a bit more bass, a bit more warmth, not quite as much top end bite as the DM1s but still strong.

I am not a big fan of the D'addario GJ strings but Eastman uses their strings across the whole guitar line. Strings are cheap though :)
    BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    OK so one guy is backing Eastman and has to toe the company line, BUT...he makes a valid point, who IS making interesting variations on the traditional GJ guitar?
    Well, in fact many one-man luthiers are, and doing it well turning out some beautiful instruments.
    But that is exactly what a factory chasing volume sales to keep the prices down can not do.
    So, it has to be one or the other.
    Bones
    Well I don't have to back any company line. I call them as I see them. For example, the earlier prototypes were horrible and I told them so haha :)
    That's why I made a video, so folks can hear for themselves. I am sure very soon Michael will give another insightful review. I look forward to his opinions as well.

MichaelHorowitz
    www.dougmartinguitar.com