DjangoBooks.com

Monk's advice (1960)

edited October 2018 in Technique Posts: 4,737
When I asked Koran Agan where can I order his own manual on GJ technique, he replied "this is all you'll need". Maybe a little enigmatic or maybe self-evident.
Definitely some perplexing proclamations there, but that's Monk, although maybe they would make sense if we knew the context. A lot of good stuff too regardless.
Maybe somebody finds it interesting I thought, I did.
fwligw96kgq1.jpg
Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
humphrymusic

Comments

• edited October 2018 Posts: 4,737
    So you don't have to read from the picture:

- Just because you're not the drummer, it doesn't mean you don't have to keep time.
    - Pat your foot and sing the melody in your head as you play.
    - Stop playing all that bullshit, those weird notes, play the melody!
    - Make the drummer sound good.
    - Discrimination is important.
    - You've got to dig it to dig it, you dig?
    - All reet!
    - Always know... (Monk)
    - It must be always night, otherwise they wouldn't need the lights.
    - Let's lift the band stand!!
    - Avoid the hecklers.
    - Don't play the piano part, I'm playing that. Don't listen to me, I'm supposed to be accompanying you!
    - The inside of the tune (the bridge) is the part that makes the outside sound good.
    - Don't play everything (or every time), let some things go by. Some music just imagined. What you don't play can be more important than what you do. Always leave them wanting for more.
    - The note can be as small as pin or as big as the world, it all depends on your imagination.
    - Stay in shape! Sometimes a musician waits for a gig and when it comes he's out of shape and can't make it.
    - When you're swinging, swing some more!
    - What should we wear tonight? Sharp as possible!
    - Don't sound anybody for a gig, just be on the scene.
    - Those pieces were written so as to have something to play and to get cats interested enough to come to rehearsal.
    - You've got it! If you don't want to play, tell a joke or dance but in any case, you got it! (To a drummer who didn't want to solo)
    - Whatever you think can't be done, somebody will come along and do it.
    - A genius is the one most like himself.
    - They tried to get me to hate white people, but somebody would always come along and spoil it.
    rudolfochristMichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliamsScoredogswiesslerhumphrymusicsteffoBonesalton
  • trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
    The internets say Steve Lacy wrote those nuggets down for posterity. Some of them have made their way into liner notes for Monk albums I've bought through the years.
    Bucosteffo
    Yeah, only later I found out that a bunch of people have already transcribed the hand written notes. Hopefully the advantage of me doing it is that something will stick.

Isn't it funny when he mentioned BS weird notes? Of course his were never BS, but weird?
    Monk never played anything weird, right!?
    vanmalmsteen