DjangoBooks.com

Flatwounds on Archtop?

MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent
in Welcome Posts: 383
I know there have been a lot of discussions recently on the forum about playing GJ on archtops (and I apologize in advance if this issue has been addressed). I wonder if folks suggest using flatwounds? I have a couple of Epiphone Joe Pass guitars and I'm thinking about occasionally using them on my GJ gigs for a little variety. Any other tips would be appreciated, for dialing in an appropriate Django-electric-era-type sound. I'm running the archtop through a Peavey Classic 30 amp.

Comments

• jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    Flatwounds are great on an electrified archtop.

It you want that bright and edgy electric Django sound though, I'd probably stick with rounds.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @MikeK for a Django type sound you’d ideally want a single coil pickup (the Yves Guen is the closest to the original) on a Selmer type guitar with Argentine 10s through a tube amp.

Django did record with a Gibson an ES-300 which had single coil P-90 on it. My guess is he strung it with roundwounds but tough to say.

Either way, some sort of single coil pickup with roundwounds would be the way to go. Flatwounds sound quite different as they produce far fewer harmonics and a stronger fundamental.
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent
    Thanks Jeffmatz and Michael. Since using an archtop is something I only plan to do occasionally, I'll switch to the roundwounds. I'll look at some of the archtops with P-90's as well. Unlike some folks, I really like Django's electric stuff. And I'd like to honor those years of his by digging into studying the style and sound.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    I’m with you on that one! Check out the final version ever recorded of Nuages. It is an absolute masterpiece , beautifully encapsulates his electric era playing.
  • LeftyKevanLeftyKevan New DuPont mc-10g, Eastman PG1, D’Angelico NY2
    Hey mike,

I highly recommend the D’addarios Nickel bronze 13.5, they are tension balanced, feel and sound amazing. Round wound and a little unwieldy at first (it’ll clean up your fretting hand in a hurry), but they are the best sound I’ve heard on archtop, very superior the flatwound sound.
  • ronzo4600ronzo4600 PNWNew Eimer's, Lebreton & Selmer
    @MikeK for a Django type sound you’d ideally want a single coil pickup (the Yves Guen is the closest to the original) on a Selmer type guitar with Argentine 10s through a tube amp.

Either way, some sort of single coil pickup with roundwounds would be the way to go.

I love the electric sound as much as acoustic. Several of Django's later recordings are just brilliant. I was searching for "that sound" and came up with a single coil and the Vintage 47 EH-185 reproduction. The Peche works, but is hot on the B and E, the Krivo not so much, the Surdo is great, but also a bit hot on the B and E, BUT the best so far is the ST-51 through the V-47 amp.

I can honestly say that I've not been able to get the sound with an SS amp, but close. Best vintage sound has been V-47 or the Blues Jr.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • plexi69plexi69 New
    To my ear, Gibson's newer P90's have a harder, more gain, more rock and roll sound compared to the original 1940's-1950's P90's. Those seem to have a rounder, warmer, fuzzier tone to me.
    MichaelHorowitz