JJ why?

Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
edited September 2006 in Welcome Posts: 622
Oh JJ... Why?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp6e321e ... =2&t=t&f=b

(Look at the mando. player)

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Good God...my brother was a HUGE Van Halen fan, and I had to hear that song every day after school (for years-my brother can be a bit obsessive) growing up. I can only hope John has a similar excuse!

Thanks,
    Jack.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Someone at work was telling me about this. They have no idea who John Jorgenson is but they said they heard about this or saw it and said it was terrible. Got to love a cat who knows how to get his face out there though. Sometimes you just gotta gig ya know.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    Wow!...I..uh..um,....don't quite know what to say. I was a huge Van Halen fan back in the day ( well, I mean I was normal sized-I just really liked them- until Sammy Hagar came along, but that's another story) At any rate, the banjo player in the clip is none other than Scott Vestal. He's great!! And he nailed the keyboard solo..on a banjo no less!!! I'm afraid to ask what's next...Tchavalo's tribute to Shonen Knife?!?!?!
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • langleydjangolangleydjango Langley, WA USA✭✭✭✭
    This qualifies as the WORST collaboration of musical styles I've ever heard.
    Brutally painful from beginning to end.

You gotta take your paydays wherever you find them but if those guys weren't asking "what the hell am I doing here?" they need to get a grip on reality.

It makes me long for the days when Pat Boone was singing metal.
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    Whoa...scary...sounds like a pale copy of Hayseed Dixie (<-- look them up!)

Made a lot of people here at work laugh at least.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Right below there's actually another vid of Van Halen doing Jump in 99. Roth isn't so bad with 8 billion mega watts of amplification, deafening crowd noise, and the tightest spandex I've ever seen! But take that away and he looks like a bad American Idol contestant.

'm
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Bad American Idol contestant? Isn't that redundant?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I regret to inform you all that this Tonight Show episode was replayed here in Massachusetts at 3am EST, and I shall not sleep tonight. Why, indeed!?!
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    do you sleep ANY night???
  • czeckoczecko ✭✭✭
    The vid isn't there anymore but I'm assuming it's the Jump from Dave's new Strummin' with the Devil release. Saw that a while ago, and while I thought it was pretty awful, I am pretty sure he can still sing, and of course, that group of musicians is awesome. I can only imagine that it was someone's bad idea to marry that (popular) song with a style it is totally not suited for. And it's a shame because throughout his career Dave has always been super-saavy with covers and performances and they have usually paid off well for him. He's also long been a lover of old music and stylings to the point where some of the best (and oddest) VH songs imo, were covers of blues/jazz/songs. Any of these would've been much better suited to the style.

Ice Cream Man
    Could This Be Magic
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Big Bad Bill is Sweet William Now
    Happy Trails

{Big Bad Bill, as it was originally recorded was an acoustic-type swing thing that had the Van Halen's dad playing clarinet and while it isn't Django or Romane, it doesn't suck as much as Jump played that way. It's actually not a bad performance for a hard rock band. Dave has a pretty good baritone voice for that kind of stuff and has always said his hero was Al Jolson}

And yes I was a pretty big BIG ROCK fan back in the day. Never liked Jump tho... :x :x