DjangoBooks.com

New Tcha Book

NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
in Welcome Posts: 462
Here is a podcast with an interview with Joanna Gardner who has published a book on Tcha which I will be buying on general principle.

It covers guitar and violin and general principles for improvising.

Here is the podcast

You can contact her through her email which you can find on the description on youtube to order this self published volume.

The author was just in UK for a week with Duved, sorry I missed that.

D.
BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsLango-Django

Comments

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    The book just arrived, that was quick !

It's beautifully presented and production is to the highest standards.

GREAT NEWS for guitarists, there are FIFTY pages on Tcha's guitar playing and they are all dense with transcriptions and include tab for the guys who need it.

For those who don't all of the violin material lies well on the guitar and can be sightread. I am especially interested in the two note violin comping ideas from which I expect to learn a lot.

Once you have the book you can download a zip file which has audio of all the performances from which the transcriptions have been compiled. I just listened to these and read along with the book and the quality of rhythmic notation is HIGH. This is great not only for those who don't get much from a score but also for people like me who are getting old, lazy and set in our ways. Sometimes we need inspiration to pick up the guitar and actually work on something new once in a while, there is lots of it here.

I just listened to mp3's on the phone and read along with the book and the quality of rhythmic notation is HIGH. There are over a hundred audio clips to go with the notation. Reading along and listening can transform a boring hour on the train or help you ignore your partner's soap opera or save you waking him/her when you want to study music after dark, but not too passively as in youtube et al.

Surely this book is a must for anyone who is interested in Tcha's perspective on Django, ie anyone who has ever heard Tcha play or talk. It is a welcome addition to the material that Denis has made available and the inspirational footage on youtube.

Did I mention I am pleased with this book ?

D.
  • Thanks. It is on my shortlist.
    Where can I buy that book?
    NylonDave wrote: »

You can contact her through her email which you can find on the description on youtube to order this self published volume.

D.

Contact her personally, it's a limited run to cut out the middle man.

[email protected]
    GreatBohemian
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of this. Everytime I see Tcha playing or talking I go away inspired.
    NylonDave
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I do Shemi.
    Shemi
  • pral16pral16 New
    I just received my copy in the mail----Dave is right, it's an excellent book. Most of the text is transcribed from Joanna'a interviews with Tcha, so it reads almost like a private lesson. Can't wait to dig into his improvisation exercises. This makes an excellent companion to the videos he made for DC School of Music. Oh---and for us guitar players that are slow standard notation readers----the book includes links to MP3 files so you can hear them. Thank you Joanna!
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Just got my copy yesterday so have only looked at it briefly and I have to say that as pra16 said it's like private lesson. I jammed with Tcha 3 years ago at Grapelli Camp and he is anazing.
    always learning
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Here is a video of us playing with Tcha at Grappelli Django camp in the Netherlands last month. Tcha will be at Djangofest NW this weekend and should have some books with him. However, if you won't be there and would like to order a copy, contact [email protected] for all the details
    BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

It took me a while to track it down but I have now received it from Tcha himself. Its a handsome volume, co-written with Joanna Gardner and is packed with valuable material that’s going to take me some time to work through.

Looks an excellent complement to Tcha’s course on DCMusic.

The first section is a partly biographical and then gives musical examples to illustrate his ideas. This is followed by sections for violin, guitar and bass.

Matching the transcribed examples, there are 115 mp3s played by Tcha that can be downloaded.

Cost: 30 euros + postage. If you need his address (Joanna doesn’t have any copies left) send me a DM

djazzyNylonDaveJosechikyBuco