DjangoBooks.com

Short Scale models?

2»

Comments

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    I recently purchased a Gibson L5 copy called "The Loar." It's an arch top guitar that I did not realize it was a short scale until I got home. Man, it is amazingly easy to play. I have to discipline myself to stay off of it because the temptation of the easy reaches is too much.
  • fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    Howdy, I am wondering if I can only put money into one decent guitar (e.g. a Dupont MC50, which is a short scale) are there any downsides? Do I need the extra few frets of access? (I play just at home and not in a band...)
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    I couldn’t help but notice that Altamira makes a short scale 12 fret Dhole. Willing to bet it is awesome , Never seen anyone playing one though
    jeffmatz
  • jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    Ooh, Altamira makes a short scale grande bouche? Cool.

I'm currently beginning my second go around with the gypsy jazz thing, and I think I'm a short scale guy. Heck, gypsy jazz short scale is long compared to my archtop!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I like my 14 fret short scale A LOT!
    Bones wrote: »
    I like my 14 fret short scale A LOT!

@Bones you never gave us some more detail about how it ended up. I'd love to see more pictures and a few words on the sound.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ha, yeah still have not "finished" it yet. Just been playing it "in the white" but have not been playing much and also not in the shop much. Got into a semi-major livingroom and kitchen redo project and other stuff. Short report, really like the tone and volume especially for rhythm with the D-hole but really need to get it lacquered and the final setup to get the action down a bit. Next one will be very similar but an oval hole.

I should note that the 14 fret short scale moves the bridge toward the neck end a fair bit which took a little bit of getting used to for the right arm/hand placement.
    Buco
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I couldn’t help but notice that Altamira makes a short scale 12 fret Dhole. Willing to bet it is awesome , Never seen anyone playing one though

@vanmalmsteen here you go:

vanmalmsteen
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    Well now I can say I’ve seen/heard someone playing one . And, wow, that guitar sounds really good!
    MichaelHorowitz