DjangoBooks.com

Holding the pick; Feedback

Comments

• PetrovPetrov ✭✭
    jpipper17 wrote: »
    NylonDave wrote: »
    I can't hear that you hear harmony when you are soloing.

D.

You're right. I've played minor blues type jam band music. I've been able to cheat with major and minor scale variations. I really dont have an advanced melody vocabulary yet. How do you suggest I go about learning to do that?

Transcribe by ear the phrases/licks/melodies that you like. Understand how they work and why. Learn to modify these melodic statements and make them your own.

Transcribing, for me anyways, has helped me in so many ways. Including being able to create my own melodic ideas.
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Petrov wrote: »

D.

You're right. I've played minor blues type jam band music. I've been able to cheat with major and minor scale variations. I really dont have an advanced melody vocabulary yet. How do you suggest I go about learning to do that?

Transcribe by ear the phrases/licks/melodies that you like. Understand how they work and why. Learn to modify these melodic statements and make them your own.

Transcribing, for me anyways, has helped me in so many ways. Including being able to create my own melodic ideas.

I agree.

For me what really helped me hear harmony was singing melodies over chords.

You are clearly musical so you will naturally outline the shape of the melody and also find the notes richer as you sing them if you are also playing the chords.

You will be doing A LOT and completely naturally. Copy that when you play, ask yourelf 'is this really how I would sing that'.

Find the technique that delivers musical intent. That means listening, really really listening.

When you play fast if you take your time you will put that natural musicality into your guitar playing.

It will be a long time, there's no rush though and thats when things get real fun, when we aren't in a hurry.

But I think it will be much easier for you to feel and to hear if you learn to SELL a melody. Learn to PITCH on the guitar, you see because the guitar has frets we thing we get pitch for free on it, we don't.

Pitching is about selling.

You need to really buy it yourself before anyone else will buy it.

I am sorry this is so vague, it's more of a one on thing to get this across which is why I can't point you to anything online, I would if I could.

Try this though play the open b string then play the octave at the twelfth fret. That is a huge interval to sing, sing it. Now play it on the guitar again, as yourself 'what was missing ?'. Try again, and again and again till you are no longer bored and become fascinated. So much will happen when you sing, make SOMETHING happen on the guitar too.

All the best.

D.

Ha this is funny.
    Dave, you whispered Frank's name to Troy and now he just put out a video with him.

@jpipper17 advice you got is good but as something you can do immediately, you need to have a harmonic structure in your mind which you're following even when you're noodling around. Like, play the tune, not just random lines.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • jpipper17jpipper17 New Saga Cigano GJ-10
    edited August 2018 Posts: 34
    Petrov wrote: »

D.

Transcribe by ear the phrases/licks/melodies that you like. Understand how they work and why.

Could someone explain to me the three last notes of this lick? Seems like a Dm shape, but I think 14&5 are the chords behind that part?

Buco & Nylon Dave, and everyone else thanks for the replies!

Does anyone have a link to the chord charts for this song? Is this a good tune to learn as a beginner to this style, and what exercises, arpeggios, and scales can I practice to learn how to solo over it?

Buco
  • jpipper17jpipper17 New Saga Cigano GJ-10
    edited August 2018 Posts: 34
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    I think it is better to record a short section and sing over it and record that and then find those notes out on the guitar and work out what it is that you really want to hear and how you can understand it in of the theory you know.

You will probably be amazed to see arpeggios all over the place in what you sing and probably interesting notes that wont fit with any theory you will read. So you make your own theory to explain them. Then you check that theory by doing it in another place.

You are aiming to play what you could sing if you had a voice as fleet as your guitar playing. The other things is to listen to the players you admire OVER AND OVER until your ear reaches for the notes that they play that you really like,

It goes on on and, the well never runs dry.

You can licks and stuff too, just make sure you can sing them before you pick up the guitar.

Don't be in a rush, don't look for 'secrets', have fun. Learn to have fun whilst taking your time.

D.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
  • Nice work. Yes, that is a very good song to learn. That phrase is a classic piece of language for ii-Vs. Learn it everywhere. Do what Dave recommends. Manipulate it, lengthen it, make it work over minor ii-Vs and you'll have a really good melodic phrase that is very useful.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah that phrase is a II V over Gm7 and C7 (2 beats each) and the tonic key is F. Look at the chart and see how the phrases fit over the chords.
  • jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    edited August 2018 Posts: 97
    Dm triad, DFA is 9 11 13 over the C7.