DjangoBooks.com

Moreno, an hour to look at his right hand.

NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
edited August 2018 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 462
Moreno has the most fabulous right hand here and balls of steel, love his brio and panache.

My girlfriend has a crush on him so you guys might even get to watch this on a big screen if you ask nice.

Buco

Comments

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Poor Moreno. Never got on the right bandwagon or clique. Seems astonishing 101 people managed not to like this.

Nah, seems like business as usual.

You'r welcome.

D.
    Yeah these are nice, I watched a few over the years.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    What on earth are you talking about? Moreno is hugely respected, and was one of the top dogs on the scene among the ranks of Angelo Debarre before being slowed down by illness. See "Les Fils du Vent", for example.

Thanks sharing for the vids, but the obtuse comments and passive aggressiveness could be toned down a little..
    jonpowl
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    but the obtuse comments and passive aggressiveness could be toned down a little..

Gosh, you think ?

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Cue ND's 3rd or 4th internet suicide in 5.4.3.2......
    jonpowl
    Cue ND's 3rd or 4th internet suicide in 5.4.3.2......

Ok guys, give me the will to live.

Surprise me.

D.

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Sure thanks for sharing. I love Moreno, especially in summer, the energy he gives when he plays is fabulous. Something like Tchavolo but somehow "less dark" than Tchavolo.
    Not receiving any comments for a publication does not mean people do not appreciate your posts (and I know about that: when I used to post about my transcriptions of Django and Hubert Rostaing or about my research about the new Quintet, only a couple of people would comment but I could see in the stats that people were coming from Djangostation to check it out so...)
    For example, I listened to the videos but I did not care to leave a comment because I was disconnected and it was too much effort to connect to just leave a "Thumbs up" comment. Stupid reason but ...Dont get angry for that
    Shemi
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    Yep, I had a brief listen when I was doing the washing up but I've seen it before. It's a great video and I love his playing. I lurk here everyday but very rarely comment or like things although maybe I will more. I've got no one else to talk to about Gypsy jazz!lol
    Thanks Paps, I asked and I did receive.

Really thanks, that was a pleasant surprise.

Every time I watch a great player I see more, even with banal things like technique. It's strange how we miss the important things. Slow motion doesn't really help, we need to learn to look honestly, that takes a long time.

I was OVERJOYED when I found these on Youtube, Moreno is criminally unrepresented there. And these performances would have been lost but for happenstance.

I can't believe how well he played in those circumstances and with such humility and such respect for his audience and the music. Every moment a joy, truly humbling.

And he REACHES in a way that I almost never see, really puts himself on the line, always on the edge, thrilling.

I shudder to think what he was paid on those evenings.

D.
  • That is one interesting conversation...let's keep focus on the content.

Thank you for sharing this great performance. I would kindly suggest that you try to close your eyes just a moment, and temporarily forget about the right hand technique.
    Then listen again to this performance, and try to connect on a deeper level to the rhythmic intention of Moreno, his rhythmic phrasing, his time feel, his use of space, his use of silence, and generally speaking his syntax.

These are the elements that I believe you enjoy the most about this performance. The right hand is just a physical tool, it is the upper part of the iceberg, and watching it for hours won't give you or anyone else a deeper understanding of Moreno's art. It will however stimulate your contemplation, which has never been proven to be of any help on a cognitive level.

Thanks again for sharing.

DS
    BeroSinto