DjangoBooks.com

Holding the pick; Feedback

Comments

• Poor original poster. I'm sorry you have to wade through this devolved mess to get a little bit of guidance.
    wim
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 Posts: 170
    Yes, apologies to the OP for the thread derailment. I was genuinely trying to be helpful with my initial post.
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited August 2018 Posts: 462
    Shemi wrote: »
    Yes, apologies to the OP for the thread derailment. I was genuinely trying to be helpful with my initial post.

Don't doubt it, I liked your second post best.

I am also trying to be helpful. I never had any difficulty at all playing fast with a pick , I did have trouble liking what I played. I think watching the wrong instructional material really helped me not to like what I played. There are three great ways to learn when all is said and done, by ear, by example and with a good method. A teacher helps with all of those.

I genuinely think that the act of requesting feedback from photographs is wrong headed and should be abandoned at once.

OP did not respond for four days before I chimed in, maybe have a think about that Jim.

Still lots of good publicity for a dubious website here now thanks to all the fans here. No real mention of touch till I haplessly joined in and STILL no mention of ahem MUSIC.

I wonder what YOUTUBE channel private forum moderators do in their spare time ?

On an unrelated note, my brother in law asked me what was wrong with his bike, it wasn't as fast as he remembered. I checked it over, wheels were true and spun clear of brakes, good tension in all cables and drive line good as new. So, nothing wrong with the bike then, I told him he'd just need to get fit.

I look forward to seeing how much he is going to waste on a new bike and laughing at the excuses the salesman gave him.

Oh another Channel I forgot to recommend, Jimmy Bruno on Youtube, definitely straight talking with Jimmy but only for those who dislike BS.

D.
  • I won't bite on responding. I will offer my two cents to the OP.

I had a lesson with a well known player in this style who has a fantastic tone a month ago. For me, the tone wasn't all there in my own playing. The short version is he demonstrated the mechanics of this style of picking and told me what he felt I was doing wrong. Pick angle was not discussed at all. Relaxing and eliminating tension in both hands was discussed quite a bit. I am achieving this with slow deliberate practice. I've heard this stated often. Maybe this will stick this time. Regardless, I'll endeavor to work on my tone.

Good luck.
    NylonDave
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 Posts: 170

Excuse the quality as I did this quickly in between looking after my toddler. I'm using the point here, but I think the effect is even greater when using it sideways.

OP, if you're still having problems post a video as I think you'll get some better advice
  • jpipper17jpipper17 New Saga Cigano GJ-10

The Ist video is just me playing naturally.

The second compares my natural slant and my attempting to flatten the pick
    Buco
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    They both sound good so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's certainly easier to see what you're doing now you've posted the video, and you're really not using much angle anyway when you play your natural way so if I had seen the video first I probably wouldn't have mentioned it ☺️

• edited August 2018 Posts: 4,732
    Ah nice, pompe is better already!
    Slanted seems to have a slightly darker sound which is what you'd expect. Go with what's natural. Or listen to the recording and pick what sounds better to your ear. I've been doing an adjustment to my pick grip because I think I get a better tone so it's ok if you change now or later. You're on the right track either way.

You know Dave, something I saw Troy say once, was a big "aha!" moment for me because it was precisely something I wondered about for a long time when I was in my late teens and didn't have anybody to ask. It has to do with the upward slant. Edit: which I use today in the GJ picking.
    Maybe things like this work themselves out when you play 8-10-12 hours a day like these guy that Troy is filming did. Or I don't know, maybe I might be too much of a dope to figure it out for myself, I'm not discounting that either. But when I saw the video I said to myself "holy crap where was this all those years ago". To me this guy is genuinely interested in and puts himself to the service of music. Ok he's serving his own interests in a way that he's woodshedding whatever he's been interviewing and filming his subject about. But he's massively sharing and never did I hear a sales pitch through his videos. I'm actually amazed that he's making money given how much free stuff he puts out there. And I'm extremely glad if he does. Give the guy a benefit of doubt.
    Shemi
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Seems like you don't need to worry about technique.

Movement is a hard thing to describe. Even if you have four bars on one chord you need to make a journey of it.

Easiest way is to sing the tune and match your dynamics to your voice. It should be different every time. There is no right way, but there are millions of ways which don't tell a story.

I can't hear that you hear harmony when you are soloing. It's to do with making a journey, it's not just about notes and accuracy.

I think if you find some cool people, or just one musical rhythm guitarist who likes to listen whilst playing you will enjoy your playing much more.

You are clearly musical and respectful and prepared to work. That means anything is possible for you, you should have a happy musical journey.

I think if you start to think about what it means to play well rather than properly then you will start to love what you play.

Never try and play correctly or strongly, play beautifully, it is easier and I think you are on the right track.

Thank you for uploading, that was brave and for me, heartening.

D.
    Shemi
  • jpipper17jpipper17 New Saga Cigano GJ-10
    NylonDave wrote: »
    I can't hear that you hear harmony when you are soloing.

D.

You're right. I've played minor blues type jam band music. I've been able to cheat with major and minor scale variations. I really dont have an advanced melody vocabulary yet. How do you suggest I go about learning to do that?