DjangoBooks.com

Has anyone tried Maple or Walnut for bridge material?

Hi everyone,
Here is my situation. I just started playing with a small group that had advertised for a "gypsy jazz rhythm player". After a few practices and adding a vocalist, It has drifted away from GJ a little bit, which is fine. However, my guitar sounds out of place in certain situations(it is nice to know it can drown out everyone but the clarinet if I am not careful though:) ) and I have started to think a traditional archtop sound may be more appropriate. I can't really spend the money on another guitar right now but I am wondering if a bridge material like maple or walnut might warm/soften things up a bit. Has anyone tried this? I am set up to make bridges right now and I will probably give it a shot with some maple this weekend but input from others who have tried this would be great.

Comments

• asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    A wider soundhole as I have described would built up the bass side
    I got a lot of great info in this thread:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/11819/tone-difference-between-dupont-and-dellarte-bridge/p1
    I think it was was the difference between rosewood and ebony that was discussed but great explanation between the two.
    Joshl-m
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    I once made a maple bridge insert to replace the adjustable bridge saddle in an Epiphone acoustic. It worked well for that.
  • Joshl-mJoshl-m New
    Did it!!! I don't think it's my favourite for playing by myself but the maple bridge should do what I hoped and help the guitar rest in the context of this band much better. The sound is actually drier than my rosewood or ebony bridges. At the same time it is a lot darker and a little flatter. A bit like rolling a tone knob back.
    Bucot-bird