Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthday

ACalder

Who's Online (0)

Django - Two Fingers Technique , 47 years old Beginner , I have 3 fingers working just like him

My pinky have trigger illness and not working and ring finger is short and very weak. Other three are normal.
I want to play just as Django. I am beginner to guitar and want to ask a mind boggling question , Django was playing extremelly good but I looked to guitar books and there are thousand of jazz guitar chords. Was he playing without any chord and is there a source which teaches that and the complete two fingers playing ?
┬ź1

Comments

• swiesslerswiessler NorCalNew Dupont MD20,Gibson L5
    Congratulations on finding an interest in something that can keep you happily occupied for the rest of your life. Have patience, practice and improvement will come. Michael Horowitz's book "Gypsy Picking" has several
    arpeggio patterns that can be played with two fingers, and there are transcriptions of Django's solos. There are lots of triad chords to experiment with. Forty seven is young!
    MichaelHorowitzBent
  • PapsPierPapsPier ÔťşÔťş
    There are some studies dedicated to the hand injury of Django and their conclusion was that the burning caused a kind of retraction of some tendons (for the exact medical description, please check the article) leaving his fourth and fifth finger in a weird kind of rigid, position. However, he could use them: he would use them to play chords by fretting three strings with one finger (the high ones), the pinky being used to reach different frets.

I dont think there is a specific book explaining the two finger technique: Django didnt have normal hands, they were quite big and he had some extra elasticity. So what he did might not be doable for somebody else.
    However, there are some people that tried to decipher it and decided to play this way: you could check them out to see how they are doing (Christophe Lartilleux for example). there are also from time to time a post discussing how Django could have played this or that lick with only two fingers.

In your case, I would suggest not to focus too much on how other people managed that but just try to find your own way to reproduce the recordings you like or play the songs you like. You will find your own way, the one that would be fit for your hands. And I believe this would be more satisfying than trying to reproduce a technique developed by somebody else to fit his specific needs. I can see that giving you headaches and tension in the hand and frustrations.
  • Like Paps said, Django used all of his fingers, only his pinky and ring finger had a very limited function and he didn't use them for single note soloing but he found plenty of use out of them.

Since you're the beginner, at this time you can focus learning basic chords in a triad form and practice basic picking patterns. If you start a thread with a question about how to play basic chords in your situation, I'm sure people will try to get creative and point you in the right direction.

Learn songs, chords and simple melodies. In time you'll run into specific questions and challenges that need answers and solutions but you have plenty to work on when it comes to basics. Lots can be done without even having a guitar in your hands, developing a sense of timing, just listening to a lot of music in this genre, or any that interests you, theory of how the chord is constructed and what makes a chord... I'm sure tons more.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Can you give me a list for players who deciphers and plays like django ?
    Are there youtube videos of these players ?

Could Django play all jazz important chords with his left hand ?
  • geese_comgeese_com New
    edited June 21
    These three YouTube channels have lots of songs played with only 2 fingers.

Christophe Lartilleux: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlxQ97W-qFFaMUUK51VQkA

charliesdm: https://youtube.com/channel/UCHnxP5bUX5h7zJ7H4w-B8Tg

Ori Ben Zvi: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ1jqUV9y_ulYu4P1mIAvng

Christophe Lartilleux also plays in the group Latcho Drom. I heard he was the finger double for the Django movie, but I do not remember where I saw that.

It is very interesting watching videos played with only 2 fingers and trying to play with only 2 fingers. You view the fretboard in a totally different way.
    dm7b5
  • Hi├ž sorun de─čil zaten bu tarz ├žalanlar─▒n bir ├žo─ču 3 parmak kullan─▒yor ├Ânemli olan bu tarz─▒ sevmek ve sab─▒r django bunun en b├╝y├╝k ├Ârne─či,size iyi ├žal─▒┼čmalar dilerim e─čer bu tekni─či ├žal─▒┼čmak isterseniz size baz─▒ metodlar ├Ânerebilirim,g├╝nleriniz g├╝zel olsun.
  • Sevgili Mustafa, benim sa─č ve sol ser├že parmaklar─▒mda tetikleme denilen , kas hareket ederken engele tak─▒lmas─▒ sorunu var , y├╝z├╝k parma─č─▒msa ├žok zay─▒f , kullan─▒labilir dediklerim ilk 3 parmak , zaten 47 ya┼č─▒nday─▒m sakatlanma riski b├╝y├╝k , her django , bandoneon , surbahar dinledi─čimde ve endonezya gong u dinledi─čimde bunlar─▒ ├žalmal─▒y─▒m diye diye 30 y─▒l ge├žti gitti, bir bas gitar─▒m var , onu da 200 liraya ald─▒m , arada bir ┼čeyler yap─▒yorum, valla ben de gitar alacak para kalmad─▒ , pazartesi ├želikten b├╝y├╝k d maccaferri kestirece─čim , bug├╝n ├žok yorgundum , karak├Âyden ├želik alamad─▒m , bir tek sap ve ses tahtas─▒ ve oyuk olacak bir de k├Âpr├╝y├╝ ayr─▒ kestirece─čim , hepsi 1 mm siyah sac olacak, ├╝st├╝nede epoksi p├╝sk├╝rtece─čim, vallahi paslanmazdan yapsam ├žok iyi olacak , belki 35 e 100 bir paslanmaz par├ža al─▒r─▒m , sap ├╝├žgen kesitli olacak , onu da basit bir kal─▒ba polyester d├Âkerek yapaca─č─▒m , belki sap─▒ ayr─▒ keser , g├Âvdeye y├╝ksek yap─▒┼čt─▒r─▒r─▒m yada tek par├ža olur , bir g├╝l den fingerboard kestiririm lazerle, sonrada fret ├žakt─▒r─▒r─▒m

sen de maccaferri plan var m─▒?

kitaplar─▒n listesini merakla bekliyorum

selamlar
  • PapsPierPapsPier ÔťşÔťş
    I am pretty sure Stephane plays with all his fingers, I remembered him saying at a camp: sure you can try to play like Django with two fingers, but if you have all your fingers working, why not use them (and train them)? Django would have used all his fingers if he was able to
    Teddy Dupont
  • DeuxDoigts_TonnerreDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre Lawrenceville GA USANew Altamira M30D, Gitane DG-250M
    I play solos with two fingers even though all my fingers work. My reason is that I want to "think" like Django. I want to try to visualize the fretboard and I want to move about the guitar neck like he did. I also want to get the same phrasing that he did.
    Part of the fun for me is figuring out how he played his solos with two fingers, then being amazed at the simplicity and the pure genius of how he accomplished this.
    I know neither I, nor any of us mortals will ever be as good as Django. But we can at least try to play how he did and go where ever our musical journey takes us. For example, I have played blues and rock for decades, but as soon as I started using two fingers and incorporating some of Django's ideas into my blues solos, they took off in an entirely new and exciting direction.
    t-birdLeonP