DjangoBooks.com

Wearing through the finish (Pickgaurd)?

vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
So I’m already wearing through the finish on my antique finished Altamira . Just that one little area where my pinky nail tends to rub . Any suggestions, besides totally reworking my technique . Pick guard perhaps , although the top is quite thin and I don’t want to mess with the beautiful tone

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited June 2018 Posts: 337
    I guess another part of the question would be, does it really matter? Is it many years before it looks like Willie Nelson‘s guitar?
  • terrassierterrassier France
    Suppose its down to personal preference - the finish is showing wear and going a lighter colour on mine from where my little finger rubs (not my nail) .... personally I dont care about it,although it might effect resale (until its 60 years old) if that bothers you.
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    All right, that seems exactly the deal, Bones . I really don’t like the idea of gluing something permanent on there.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah same here. Just make sure it doesn't react with ur finish. No prob so far on mine.
  • Sticky backed mylar...thin transparent and doesn't seem to affect the tone at all.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • LeonPLeonP New
    I tried to put a nonpermanent pickguard on my altamira antique model, just tried a bit and alredy some finish went of. S, i have no idea what could be used not to be "permanent".
    edited June 2018 Posts: 337
    Yeah, after the first week my antique Altamira was wearing through where my pinky nail tends to rub . I put a non-permanent pick guard on there just recently and I’m very happy with it although when I peel it off some of the finish is going to come off with it I’m pretty sure. Very cool though, it’s completely invisible although close up you can see it
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I've had no problems on the finish on my Gallatos but they are nitro I think.
  • PompierPompier MarylandNew Cigano GJ-15
    edited July 2018 Posts: 62
    Does antique finish wear off more easily than other kinds of finish?