DjangoBooks.com

EKO EVO

Dear All,
Has anyone played the EKO EVO Gipsy guitar and can share some experiences? I am playing an Altamira M01 but need to buy an additional (and inexpensive) second guitar. I am particularly interested in the volume it projects as opposed to other budget models. I am familiar with the entry models of other companies.
Cheers,
Matt

Comments

@bopster plays on it here:

The guitar sounds nice to me. Maybe he'll chime in too.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    edited April 2018 Posts: 513
    Not as good as Gitane or even Cigano. It doesn’t project like the others I mentioned. I got it because Eko had one in the US for a show, and the distributor let me buy it.
    Go for a Cigano or Gitane if an Altamira is not feasible.
    Thanks bopster!
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Altamira is coming out with a $650 GJ model that looks, sounds and plays well. I had a chance to try it the other day at the SF Bay gypsy jazz club attended by none other than **** with a few Altamira guitars in tow. $650 includes a case. Hopefully, Michael H. will be selling them, as well. I have a Cigano GJ-10 that is quite nice.
    dm7b5
    I just received one of these EKO EVOs from Italy for 299 EUR (!). I have to say for that money it is very good! It is VERY loud. I would say it is almost twice as loud as my Altamira M01 (this summer we are playing mostly in the street and not always amplified, so that is something which really matters to me...).
    Buco
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 13
    P.S. I was hesitating to put this additional comment and maybe I am a caveman for that matter :) but really volume to me is key in that style and sometimes a cheaper but loud Gipsy guitar does the trick in a campfire/street jam context much better than an expensive guitar which has less volume but "rich overtones". Just my five cents.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Loud is good!

But those rich overtones become even richer with some amplification...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • LeonPLeonP New
    The thing i dont like, its that they sell only short scale.
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    There are two Eko Evo Gipsy models, one is very low end without a spruce top but the 06217063 model is seriously better than anything in the less than $800 range. It is loud as heck, it is true that it is a short scale but I honestly couldn't notice it. Plenty of string tension and snap and nothing like the rubbery feeling 12fret guitars out there.