DjangoBooks.com

Epi Archtop help!

Comments

• MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    Newtone strings offers a variety of strings suited to acoustic archtops. What I like about them is the round core which can make playing heavier gauges seem less taxing. They offer a set for archtops that use a double wrap of nickel plated steel and so work well with pickups too. The website now offers the ability to make sets in gauges of your choice in different materials. I find that so often guitar has a different string choice that sounds best on it, figuring it out is part of the fun.
  • Well @klaatu I ended up with a newer Eastman and I'm very happy. I really really wanted an old Epi but things didn't work out. I had a handle on a 38 Triumph but my buddy got cold feet. I was hesitant to get an old guitar online so I went safe. Maybe next guitar!
    On his last guitar Freddie's action was at 1/2"!
  • @MarkA Your advice has always been so helpful that I'll definitely try those out. Thanks again for everything.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Cool. I had an Eastman AR805CE before getting the Epi. It was a fine instrument, superbly built and with great tone, both electric and acoustic. I had been looking for a Triumph for some time but could not find one I could afford, partly due to the CAN/US$ exchange rate at the time. One dealer suggested I check out Eastman.

A few years later I happened to find a Triumph at Folkway Music in Ontario for the incredible price of CAN$1900 and grabbed it, eventually selling the Eastman. I'm sure you will enjoy yours.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    BTW, here is a great video of the Basie Orchestra (without Basie) featuring the totally awesome Diane Schuur. What is cool about this is you can really see AND clearly hear Freddie.

rgricet-bird
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow, cool vid Klaatu. Thanks
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Wow that looks like about a 30+mm bridge height on an archtop. A lot of down force. That thing must have had monster bracing!

Yeah, you can see his action is super high clearly in that vid.
    rgrice
  • Update on Eastman. Wow! Played an Americana gig with it plugged into PA while we used condenser mics. Fiddle, dobro. And bass. No need for any other pickup. The Dearmond was very sweet and rich. A little too full from mid on down as I didn’t have much ability to EQ in the mix. Definitely a keeper!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 1,854
    Nice looking guitar... is that by any chance my old friend Myrtle standing in front of you in that photo, RG?

http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/products/microphones/myrtle
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."