DjangoBooks.com

Guzz S3 pick - Alternative

Good morning, everyone! :)

It seems that the Guzz S3 pick is not available anymore... I tried it once and it felt really good, i havent tried Wegen picks yet. I am not a big fan of any sorts of horn, bone, etc., I prefer a dull, fat sound than a brilliant one.
Does somebody know a good alternative to the Guzz S3?

Cheers, Paul
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi - you might consider something with a rounded edge.
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    I think Jorge is sick and not producing any picks anymore. I personally preferred the Guzz pick to all the ones I've tried, but recently converted to using EML Picks casein gypsy pick and I can't get enough of them.

https://www.emlpicks.com/collections/all-products/products/gypsy-jazz-special-casein
    altondadalama
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    Hi, if you’re interested, I have quite a few Guzz picks I don’t use that I could part with.
    PM me if you like.
    dadalama
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    I think Jorge is sick and not producing any picks anymore. I personally preferred the Guzz pick to all the ones I've tried, but recently converted to using EML Picks casein gypsy pick and I can't get enough of them.

https://www.emlpicks.com/collections/all-products/products/gypsy-jazz-special-casein

I have been using the 3mm Gypsy Jazz Special for a while now. Great tone and feel. I bought one in resin as well, but I prefer the casein one. I will buy another as a backup. I especially appreciate that the plastic has begun "checking" like an antique piece of plastic.

• Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    alton wrote: »

I have been using the 3mm Gypsy Jazz Special for a while now. Great tone and feel. I bought one in resin as well, but I prefer the casein one. I will buy another as a backup. I especially appreciate that the plastic has begun "checking" like an antique piece of plastic.

Ha, I actually have the resin as well and also prefer the casein. I like them both though as they have slightly different sounds. I drilled a series of tiny holes in them to help with grip and it's been great. Also planning on ordering a few more and potentially trying one of the 4.7mm ones as well.
    alton
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    @Brad Herman The casein one seems warmer and less noisy to me. The resin is definitely brighter. I would have ordered them with some kind of grip holes or similar, had it been available. However, I find that once the pick warms up to body temperature, it sticks to my fingers well.

Hopefully this is the end of my search. But as I am sure has been said before (and to rip off one of my favorite journalists), "Not that I needed all of them. But once you get locked into a serious boutique pick collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can."
  • dadalamadadalama New
    Thank you guys for the helpful comments! I really appreciate it! :)
    One more question...does somebody have experience with Wegen Fatone? The EML ones appear really good as well!
    I just found an old, beautifully round and fat button from my grandmothers cutter-collection. For rhythm is actually very good, i think, its stiff, floats awesome and lies good in the fingers. So consider that too, if you want a cheap option and try yourself in various alternatives. But nevertheless, nothing for picking.

Swing on!
    The Fatone was my gateway to gypsy picks. I used it for both rhythm and lead. For whatever reason, the really thick size made it easier for me to focus on achieving a relaxed grip when learning rest stroke picking. I love the feel of it, and I still sometimes practice with it, but it's a bit too noisy for me. Wegen seems to use an incredibly hard material that makes a distinct chirping sound when it contacts the strings. For that reason, it's not my favorite. It is a well made pick and definitely worth owning. Plus, I love the shock value when showing it to my guitar player friends!
    billyshakesdadalama
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    alton wrote: »
    Wegen seems to use an incredibly hard material that makes a distinct chirping sound when it contacts the strings. Plus, I love the shock value when showing it to my guitar player friends!

Second both of these points. I started learning with Wegen picks and have many different styles. The Fatone is a BIG pick and anyone not in the genre will be surprised. I particularly like the picture of it next to a CD case that is on his website. It is nice for rhythm but I found it was a bit too thick for my taste for lead/melody playing.

Someone was passing around a pick box at DiJ last year and I picked up an odd shaped pick that was later identified as a Niglo pick (acetate). I've played with it the last 6 months or more and really like the sound (thanks to that generous donor, whoever you are!) It is easy to play and is good for lead or rhythm.

That said, just recently I've gone back to trying a modified Wegen Gypsyjazz pick which I asked him to round off more edge from the tip as if it had been worn from playing. Also, the Gypsy 250 is nice and I carry one in my wallet pouch at all times (just in case!)
    dadalama