DjangoBooks.com

Custom-designed Audio Technica Pro 70 / AT831B mounts

2»

Comments

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    djim wrote: »
    I tried printing the bridge mount version and wasn't successful. We scrapped it and will try again later. The clip arms didn't print well. The tech at the library said the clip arms looked too thin. Has anyone successfully printed the bridge mount? The entry at thingiverse.com shows 0 made. I'll send an update after the next attempt.

Yes, I have printed quite a few. Having designed it myself.

I'm printing these on one of the cheapest 3D printers around: the Monoprice MP Select and it was fine on the first try. You need to print it vertically with the clip facing up. Going to get a bit more technical: I used 1.75mm PLA filament. From the picture, looks like they are getting a lot of stringing and the layers aren't drying fast enough. Could be overall temperature is too high, or the cooling is insufficient, or the retraction settings need to be dialed up.
    cavemusic
  • cavemusiccavemusic Edmonton, Alberta 2010 JWC Modele Jazz, 2015 Jean Barault Grande Bouche with resonator, 1947 Kay upright bass, Django finger puppet
    I printed one of standard mounts yesterday and will try the bridge mount this week. There are quite a few printer settings in the printing slicer that can be tweaked if you have fine detail - especially layer height. Maybe the default settings are not quite suitable. We have a good tech in our shop so I'll make a note of the settings I use and let you know how it goes.
    Kevin
  • djimdjim San DiegoNew
    Hi Vic,
    Thanks for the tech tips. I'm going to the library tomorrow to try it again. The tech said she did a low-res print last time in the interest of time (it was a 7 minute print and they were closing soon). She asked me to check if others had successfully printed. You're right it was very stringy. Hopefully with more time she can print it tomorrow.

Cave,
    Sure, if you can provide the settings that may help me and others. I have zero experience with these printers so don't know what knobs are available.

Thanks!
    - jim
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018 Posts: 325
    @djim You can also print it flat with the thick part of the block facing down. In fact, this makes the clip portion more strong and flexible since the grain wont be parallel to the mic.

But if you do it that way you will need supports between the small gap for the strings since it's an overhang. After the print you would clean out the plastic supports with an exacto knife. The tech should know what I'm talking about.

btw, for the tech savvy and maker types, I highly recommend getting a 3d printer. I held out for a long time because I thought it would be a total pain in the ass time sink, but I didn't expect it to be so fun and interesting. The monoprice MP Select Mini V2 goes for $169! I taught myself CAD off Youtube and designed this part in one day!
    Bucocavemusic
  • cavemusiccavemusic Edmonton, Alberta 2010 JWC Modele Jazz, 2015 Jean Barault Grande Bouche with resonator, 1947 Kay upright bass, Django finger puppet
    edited March 2018 Posts: 44
    djim wrote: »
    Hi Vic,
    Thanks for the tech tips. I'm going to the library tomorrow to try it again. The tech said she did a low-res print last time in the interest of time (it was a 7 minute print and they were closing soon). She asked me to check if others had successfully printed. You're right it was very stringy. Hopefully with more time she can print it tomorrow.

Cave,
    Sure, if you can provide the settings that may help me and others. I have zero experience with these printers so don't know what knobs are available.

Thanks!
    - jim

I won't have a chance to get back to printing until Monday. But some of the key settings I used were:
    Layer height: 0.1 mm
    Wall thickness: 1 mm
    Top/bottom thickness: 1 mm
    Infill density: 50%

It took about 20 minutes to print on an Ultimaker 2 Go with PLA filament. That's all the details I can recall for now but I'll jot down more next time I print. I'm guessing that if the print time was really short, then the layer height was kind of big and thus the details don't print too well.
    Kevin

BTW, here is a picture of mine:
    https://thingiverse.com/make:465725
    wim
    Kevin
  • djimdjim San DiegoNew
    I was able to print 2 today and they came out fine. I don't know the settings, but IIRC it took 11 min. I didn't make note of the printer either...
    The tech said if I have issues with the clip arms breaking that I could try printing one with nylon which is more bendable.
    thanks all,
    - jim