DjangoBooks.com

Any thoughts on Robin Nolans XXX guitar promotion?

Comments

• PackoPacko New
    He has just finished a great retreat in Perth. The Polak sounded awesome. Good working guitar with volume.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Being a guitarist for a living is generally a tough go, it looks like all fun and games but being sustainable and bringing up a family you have to hustle. I realized this and moved over to composing, not easy but an easier life style in general. Robin gives away a ton of great info, yeah there is a plan to sell you stuff but he is not hurting anyone and all his information is good. It probably does not get much better than it. I personally want Robin and people like him to succeed, he is a positive influence on the community and GJ in general.
    JosechikyBonessadowBucohumphrymusicbillyshakesAndrewUlleconstantineswiesslerJojo
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Yep, I don't blame anyone for trying to make a living especially with music and ESPECIALLY with GJ (not exactly 'pop' music) and Robin does a great service to the GJ community IMHO. Good on him! Looking forward to hearing the new guitar.

BTW, $2720 USD is VERY CHEAP for a hand made guitar.
    sadowMarkABucoswiessler
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    Packo wrote: »
    He has just finished a great retreat in Perth. The Polak sounded awesome. Good working guitar with volume.

Did you attend? I had bought my spot for the San Francisco retreat since it's in my hometown, but it got cancelled last minute :(

Hoping he reschedules it sometime as I probably can't make it to one out of the country this year.
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    Bones wrote: »

Also note that you get free shipping anywhere in the world, any of his gypsy songbook systems, a Krivo Djangobucker pickup, a custom made XXX pick, a 30 minute private skype lesson with Robin, and 2 sets of Argentine strings included...

Really is a pretty sweet deal.
    BucoJosechikybillyshakestmorarre
    The man’s gotta eat. As long as he isn’t lying through his teeth (I assume not), then more power to him. I admire anyone who puts as much energy as he does into making their living doing what they love.

Personally, I couldn’t sit through more than a few minutes of the video (nice playing, BTW) before the sales pitch got to be a bit much.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Bones wrote: »

Also note that you get free shipping anywhere in the world, any of his gypsy songbook systems, a Krivo Djangobucker pickup, a custom made XXX pick, a 30 minute private skype lesson with Robin, and 2 sets of Argentine strings included...

Really is a pretty sweet deal.

Yeah the original price alone is a bargain plus no sales tax? No import tax? Then you add in the bonus stuff. They aren't making much money on these guitars IMHO. Prob just trying to get them out there to get the proverbial foot in the door. My guess is if they are well received the price will have to go up eventually.

I've never kept track of my hours into building a Selmac but I did for archtops and it is 200 hours minimum. I'm guessing a Selmac is slightly less but not a whole lot. Just doing the fret work and setup is a bunch of hours. Handmade guitars are very labor intensive.
    ScoredogBillDaCostaWilliams
  • Robin is a great guy and I wish him well with his project. As has been said its a tough go for a family man in the music biz. I just think the name a bit odd. Some will love the look. I don't think Robin would be associated with a rubbish guitar.
    quitos52
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PackoPacko New
    Hi Brad yes I was at the Perth retreat. I'm sure he is doing the States again. Well worth attending. I've got a JWC Elite and love it but was impressed with the Polak as good value for money especially with the Krivo pick up which works brilliantly on a clean channel tube amp
    Packo wrote: »
    Hi Brad yes I was at the Perth retreat. I'm sure he is doing the States again. Well worth attending. I've got a JWC Elite and love it but was impressed with the Polak as good value for money especially with the Krivo pick up which works brilliantly on a clean channel tube amp

Nice! I'll definitely try to make it to it if he reschedules soon. If not, maybe next year overseas... ps: I have the JWC Modele Jazz... Wanted to Elite for the real wood, but the wait time was like 2 weeks vs 6 months since he was just finishing the jazz. I love it though