DjangoBooks.com

Any thoughts on Robin Nolans XXX guitar promotion?

I enjoy Robin Nolan's mini lessons and his commitment to teaching but he could take a page from Michael when it comes to selling guitars.

Comments

• I found the name and style to be a bit odd to my taste
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Sounds pretty good on the vids.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Robin could make a Cigano sound great, which he did at DjangoFest Mill Valley a few years ago. From the looks and sound of his current guitar promotion, I think there are probably better guitars in the same price range (Mateos and Castelluccia) and I wonder about the resale value a couple of years down the road. Polak guitars, formerly ERG, are made in Israel
  • S@nderVS@nderV Rotterdam, HollandNew
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    I found the name and style to be a bit odd to my taste

Robin Nolan lives in Amsterdam and he probably got the XXX from the official Amsterdam coat of arms.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    S@nderV wrote: »
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    I found the name and style to be a bit odd to my taste

Robin Nolan lives in Amsterdam and he probably got the XXX from the official Amsterdam coat of arms.
    Or, one of Trump's girlfriends....
    Bonesvanmalmsteen
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    I like
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    I like Robin's style, and his teaching methods are very useful; I have been following some of his courses for a couple of years with good results.
    I also like the way he brings new thinking to the GJ style, not trapped in just playing Django tunes (but faster) like many well known names.
    And I know nothing much about ERG/Polak guitars, never tried one, and see nothing new there that would make me want to.

So.

Back to the original question, his latest 'promotional' clips of him playing a little on the Polak and then trying to sell it to me?
    No, sorry Robin, you are a great guitarist but you are not a salesman.
    A cheesy grin and loads of enthusiasm are not enough.

But it does bring up the question of names on guitars and who pays who? Is there some small 'royalty' payment for each one sold, which, along with the ego boost of having your name out there is enough?
    Or do they do it just to get a free sample?
    A few years ago Robin had his name on a Dell Arte signature model but I think Angelo Debarre has the most different models so far.
    KlausUS
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    FWIW, Yaakov Hoter has been playing an ERG/Polak signature model for a while
  • sadowsadow ✭✭ Altamira M30 Antique
    Robin is very much an old-school entertainer, hence the grin and the schtick. But he is a serious teacher of engaging musical ideas that will never fail you, ideas that are fun to play and listeners respond to, ideas that can rescue you from a brain freeze (a regular occurance in my case). His relaxed and friendly approach celebrates musicality and wit over machine-gun runs. Not so much Charlie Parker but more Miles Davis, where a single note in the right spot can mean so much. He's a natural hustler but freely shares a lot of what he knows - his youtube page is a trove of useful information. He's certainly not the first guy to hawk a guitar with his name on it. If buyers are unhappy, they can return it for a full refund.
    BucoBonesBrad HermanJosechikyBillDaCostaWilliamsthorjensenJim KaznoskyJojoKlausUS
  • Spot on. If he's figured out another way to keep himself sustainable, good for him.
    BucoBonessadowhumphrymusicAndrewUllevanmalmsteenpdgJojo