DjangoBooks.com

"The Bijlmer Sessions" are the bomb-dot-com

crescendocrescendo Palo Alto, CaliforniaNew Favino
edited March 2018 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 38
Just got a copy of Rino Van Hooijdonk Quintette's new album "The Bijlmer Sessions" -- and it's really special -- felt compelled to post about it.

The album is undeniably "fun." Listening in the car driving around, just makes you feel like life is good...

Rino is a total gypsy jazz renaissance man - both an expert guitar-builder and fantastic player. Many of the tracks are light-hearted re-imaginations of gypsy themes. Something about it really captures a whimsical element of the genre. The recording and arrangement is organic - nothing about the record feels stale or overproduced. A distinct hint of randomness, but easy to listen.

Overall *sublime*

Check it out here:
https://open.spotify.com/album/6xi838uMDzN0qwgarh91jA?si=RMEEVKAvQKemN_--68QYCg

Favorite tracks:
- bei dir war es immer so schoen
- swing 41
- song d'automne --- but I always love that song

Bonus Points:
Maybe this is crazy in 2018, but I actually bought the CD from @nicksansone - who plays rhythm in the quintette --- and will sell you a physical copy of the album if you ask nicely. Rino and nick are fixtures in the gypsy jazz space - buying the album is a way to encourage this kind of awesome work, and support other folks in our community... just my view.

Thanks,
- Spencer
ConorFBillDaCostaWilliamsMichael S Harrington

Comments

• nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the nice review Crescendo. For those who don't know Rino, he's been on the scene longer than almost anyone; he learned directly from Sani Rosenberg, father of Nousche and played for years with Lulu Reinhardt, and Fapy Lafertin. The proof is here:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=w27XGtI5zCw
    steffo
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    I knew I had an ancient 90 minute cassette of Rino, Stochelo (spelled Stoggelo on the cassette card!) and others from 1980 that also had some tunes by Wasso Grunholz. For several years I could not find this cassette but I found it this morning looking for something else. I haven't listened to it for a long time and don't remember what the quality is. I'll try to digitize it this week and if it's any good I'll post some of the files.

Rino - one of the best!
    nicksansone
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Wow, cool find Scot. Looking forward to hearing it. Thanks!

great youtube vid, Nick!
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Emailed Nick a month ago, still waiting for a reply. Resent it anyway. Loved the previous Rino CD with Tcha, Denis and Vilmos, so it should be good.
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    Me too on the message to Nick. In the meantime, you can stream them from youtube here:

This says auto-generated by youtube so I'm guessing they uploaded it themselves via some automator.
    Wow I am very surprised to hear that I've missed these 2 messages, as I've answered and sent out cds to those who I have heard from.. maybe it's my email server, but please try again, and if you would like, message me via Djangobooks. @ chris, sorry that you resent it, it's certainly not my intention and definitely a fluke.
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    . @ chris, sorry that you resent it, it's certainly not my intention and definitely a fluke.
    Hah, I did not mean resent, as in feel anger about, I just meant to say I had resent the email, as in sent it again (maybe that should be re-sent?). Same word two meanings, a fault of the English language
    ahahah ok. by the way I sent you an email