DjangoBooks.com

A breakthrough.

13»

Comments

Great point Jay, when practicing to push the time or be lazy while soloing.

I wasn't making a case against using it to be clear, I'm just not convinced it's as essential as it's claimed to be a lot of time.
    Like, I noticed Remi has a number of videos on YouTube where he's improvising with a metronome on 2/4. And he's certainly among the very best in the genre with a pulse in his playing, it's incredible. So if he thinks it's worth doing it then...
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    So many good ideas here. It's funny how little this stuff is discussed in improvised music, but I guess we've also got to focus on inventing the notes a lot of the time.

I've been studying classical bass this last year, and practicing a lot. The lessons have been very interesting from a technique perspective. My teacher (who went to the same uni I attended almost 20 years ago, at the same time, but on classical bass) has so many insights on how to get things up to tempo and in tune - little tricks and techniques that as a university educated jazz guitar player, I never learned before. She said to me once "But you're a professional musician...how do you practice this stuff?", and I didn't really have a good answer. Before last year, my answer was just to sit in a room for a long time gradually bringing up the metronome speed and trying to be accurate, but there's so much more to it.

Good topic!

Jon
    Josechiky
    A blog post I wrote back in 2014 when I discovered the joys of slow practice:
    https://365of251.wordpress.com/2014/10/22/slow-is-faster/
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • My best improvisation comes when I don't focus any attention at all on what I am playing. All my focus is (and I believe should be) on what is going on around me.

Never lose the groove to find a note.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Buco wrote: »
    A blog post I wrote back in 2014 when I discovered the joys of slow practice:
    https://365of251.wordpress.com/2014/10/22/slow-is-faster/

Nice post - enjoy reading it.