DjangoBooks.com

When day is done (first verse)

wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
in Welcome Posts: 1,457
I've been searching for other versions of the tune which don't skip the first verse. So far I've only found two, the 1927 version from Paul Whiteman, and one of Al Bowlly singing it (!) in '38 that Luca sent my way. Does anyone else know other versions they can share here?

I do wonder if Django's inspiration came from the Whiteman version, or if there was something even earlier.

MichaelHorowitz

Comments

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Bireli's version with Gipsy Project is great - pretty much Django's but updated, with a nod to Gershwin at the end.
  • roch@rochlockyer.com[email protected] new mexico (current)✭✭
    SUP Wim...Jon Delany hipped me to the Al Bowlly version after I recorded mine...Thats my favourite version of the tune. I feel like there is a good chance Django's intro came from the Paul Whitman version, but who knows! A little shameless self promo...Here's my version that was just released. Hope your well

AndrewUlleChrisMartin
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Jimmy Durante has a nice version! Also with vocals. :-)

roch@rochlockyer.comwim
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    the original German tune: Madonna, du bist schöner als der Sonnenschein ("Madonna, you are more beautiful than the sunshine") 1924

wimadrianBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsMichaelHorowitz
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    @AndyW Wow! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks!
    AndyW
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Wow, interesting. I guess we know where the master got his intro. Love his arrangement of it for guitar. This has really got me interested in studying Django's version. I especially love his comping behind Grappelli's solo. Does anyone know the 'correct' fingering for Djangos turnaround fill at about 2:47 in this recording? Thanks

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    It cannot be Al Bowlly who is singing on the recording with Ray Noble in 1938 above. It doesn’t sound like him at al(l). ;) Perhaps the name Joe Morrison in the title of the video refers to the singer?
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Rho the revelation! Madona is When day is done.FYI Madona is played by Matelo on Tziganskaia. He cites clearly (but discreetly) at the start of the song, the version of Django/
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,457
    PapsPier wrote: »
    Madona is played by Matelo on Tziganskaia

Ah, thanks for the tip. I have this record, but not being a big fan of Matelo Ferret, had not put it on in years. Having a listen now!

• potzblitzpotzblitz New
    Always loved this version that Woody Allen used for Shadows and Fog. Verse follows the head.

wimAndrewUlle