DjangoBooks.com

Gibson Pre-War L5 Dimensions

2»

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Yeah Pickitjohn, Martz Grosz is one of my favorites!

Mark A. The bracing on the top would not be strong enough if it was kerfed??? Seems like a cost saving measure and not a good idea.

thanks
  • plexi69plexi69 New
    edited February 2018 Posts: 75
    Thanks Mark A. Very concise and informative comparison. I did not know some L4's had a mahogany neck. I have a 1940 L4 in maple, it has a maple neck with rosewood board and Nick Lucas inlays.
    Also thanks to Pickitjohn, for the link to the L5 site--very cool.
  • MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    Bones, kerfed bracing seems strong enough to support the top as the one I have hasn't sunk, but it could be affecting the sound, how exactly I'm not sure. I think you're right, probably was to cut costs and not a good idea as the next line, the advanced L-5s (17 inch) were using solid braces. Odd thing is that on mine it looks like they are kerfed and then a darker layer was applied to the face of the brace away from the top, seemed like a lot of work.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Mark, hmmm interesting. I've never seen one so actually probably shouldn't really comment on it. I imagine if the top has held up all this time it must be fine structurally. I'd sure be interested in seeing one though as I hate fitting solid braces on arch tops. Totally fussy PITA.

BTW, Marty Grosz uses a weird tuning in case anyone didn't know that.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Bones
    BTW, Marty Grosz uses a weird tuning in case anyone didn't know that./quote]

Thanks for the info I was having trouble trying to get his chords.

Tunes like Carl Kress tuned his guitar Bb. F. C. G. D. A.

One guy that plays this style uses Newtone Masterclass Double Wound Baritone (bronze);

1st: .014
    2nd: .018
    3rd: .026
    4th: .036
    5th: .054
    6th: .070

Came up with this discusson from Google

http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-technique/43499-marty-grosz-tuning.html

Sorry if I'm highjacking your thread

I kind of remember Will @Lango-Django talking about Marty
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ha, hijack away!! :-)

One time I sent Mr. Grosz a letter years ago (snail mail) asking him about his tuning and chord shapes. And he actually wrote me back. He said to stick with standard tuning. (LOL)
    pickitjohn