DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy jazz funk performances?

epsdudeepsdude New
in Welcome Posts: 20
I didn't think I'd like anything too contemporary, but I gotta say: gypsy jazz/bossa with a funk rhythm sounds really cool and fresh. Check it out!

I'd love to hear more in this style, but this seems extremely niche and hard to find. Does anyone have any similar videos of gypsy jazz funk performances?

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018 Posts: 872
    Check out Stochelo...starts funky but moves to straight La Pompe.

and "C'est La Vie", and "Google This" off the upcoming Idiomatiques album

https://www.theidiomatiques.com/new-cd

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    The one you've already found, cherry reinhardt, is the best one .. so you can stop looking now :)
    juandererepsdude
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    The one you've already found, cherry reinhardt, is the best one .. so you can stop looking now :)

Yeah! That rhythm playing is precisely on point.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,457
    I've probably watched this video a hundred times or more. =) I like the moment when cherry gets a bug stuck in his hair and he's trying to get it out without loosing the groove... he must have missed the beat just by a microsecond or less and yet Railo looks over like "wtf?" .. now, that's a connection!! Later, some gypsy kid comes along and helps him get the bug out

Another good funk track is some skunk funk
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    At Samois 2017 we had a late-night revelation: use the funk rhythm on "Speevy." Totally works, totally rocks (funks?) and is a welcome change from hours of boom-chick.

And it's got a great name. "Speevy Wonder."
    wimBucobillyshakes
  • morriconemorricone Asterstein, Koblenz, GermanyNew Cigano GJ10 Harley Benton HBMC 500

This one's also pretty funky
  • epsdudeepsdude New
    Thanks for the links everyone, but Glenn is right heh. That performance was exceptionally superb. Wish I could find more like it. I'm going to have to learn how to perfectly emulate that rhythm. I could play that to myself for hours and not get tired of it.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Figured I'd throw this one in there.

I like the stretching of harmonies a bit more

baggerman gets a pretty nice rhythm sound
    (apologies for el-crappy solo from me, didn't realise anyone was filming)
    seems not many people can do the funk rhythm nicely, you need a really light touch.

• Micheal IrwinMicheal Irwin ✭✭
    Adrien Moingard does an amazing version of "Some Skunk Funk" by Michael Brecker.