DjangoBooks.com

Eastman Gypsy Guitars Coming

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    @Buco whenever I try to speak with authority, a real authority reminds me who I am.
    pickitjohnBucoMichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliams
    Oh you do fine Paul. And it was still fun to see the prototype, it looks fantastic.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    There will be two Gypsy models, both oval hole:
    DM1: $999
    DM2 (which has an antique finish): $1,359

Photos attached....
    PetrovBillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    edited January 2018 Posts: 213
    Yep, the finish is what they call vintage-nitro. I describe it as a "semi-matte". Slightly glossy, it has a luster but not too shiny. The headstock logo is painted on at the moment but they are working on engraving it at the moment.

The darker of the two you see above has Eastman's "classic" finish that you see on some of the mandolins and arch tops. Some people will call it antique, but the guitar itself has not been through a relic process like the other vintage varnish models you see in the Eastman lineup.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Well, the dark classic-finish model looks great to me.

I have one of their 805CE archtops in the violin-type finish which is a thing of beauty IMO (a little subject to chipping though if not handled with extra care).
    I was always lusting after Eastman's violin style varnish on their archtops. To get it now on a GJ guitar is exciting to say the least!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • husyhusy Seattle✭✭✭
    Looks quite nice. DM1's look is very reminiscent of the Nomade. It looks promising, but I hope they spend a bit more time on the headstock logo.

Michael are you planning to carry these?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @husy yes, I have a bunch of these on order
    bopster
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    @Michael - have you played/heard them yet?
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    That price point is wise, there's kind of a gap in the market there between entry-level instrument (Cigano) and hand made European guitars.

- Classic finish looks good
    - Interesting departure from tradition with that double dot at 12th position. I don't mind it though.
    - The headstock logo looks kinda crappy

Proof is in the pudding, am interested to play one and see how they sound.