DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo Bergara - Gypsy Jazz Guitar Methods Volume 1 and 2

wimdenwimden BelgiumNew GALLATO RS-39 BOUCHE O
in Technique Posts: 11
Is there anyone here who has already seen Gonzalo's method? I would like to buy these but I do not know what to expect. Can anyone help me?

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    They're etudes, in all eighth notes, for a bunch of standard gypsy-jazz tunes.

Each phrase in each etude is explained in one or two sentences. Things like: "You can use this idea over a dominant chord" or "Note the double down stroke" or "Use the fourth finger here."

I got a ton out of the books and would highly recommend them. I still run through a couple of the etudes from time to time.
    JosechikyBillDaCostaWilliams
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    edited December 2017 Posts: 461
    I am currently working through both volumes and I would echo what adrian said.

If you are looking for ready to play licks they aren't the books for you. However, there is a wealth of useful and transferable information in the books.

Part of the fun is using the lines as a base and then making up your rhythms and lines off of them.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017 Posts: 521
    There's tons of licks in volume one, that's literally the point of the book!

Gonzalo himself says he really didn't intend it to be an etude to memorize, it's meant to be broken down to its component licks and applied situationally. As I said literally a bunch of licks
    Volume 2 may be different as I haven't worked through it
  • wimdenwimden BelgiumNew GALLATO RS-39 BOUCHE O
    Thanks for your answers.
  • JojoJojo London UK
    They were a good way in, a few years ago. I think they've been superseded by a few other methods over the last few years. I did find them helpful though i.e in the construction of lines
    richter4208
  • JuangamanoucheJuangamanouche SpainNew
    Hi! Where can I find this books? Thanks!
  • wimdenwimden BelgiumNew GALLATO RS-39 BOUCHE O
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    I got more out of Gonzalo's 2 books than all the other books I used combined. The only book that came even close to it was Daniel Givone's Jazz manouche guitar.
    When you learn them, break them down into measures about as long as each chord (unless there's a 2 -5 -1 progression, in which you learn that whole phrase). Then transpose them into different keys, tweek them, make them your own, etc, until they find their way into your playing.

by far the best books out there. I highly recommend them.
    jonpowlgeese_comBrent Melancon
  • PetrovPetrov ✭✭
    Are these meant to be practiced in straight 8th notes or swing?