DjangoBooks.com

"A Kiss To Build A Dream On"

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited December 2017 in Eddie Lang Club Posts: 1,855
Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays, everyone!

I'm attaching an MP3 sound file of a tune recently played by my band at our Sunday night gig in Buffalo, NY, which I'm actually kind of proud of... a good old Louis Armstrong tune... please pardon my singing!

I am particularly proud of the fact that this was the first time our band had ever played this number, and the clarinet player didn't know the middle eight, so he threw it back to me... and lo and behold, i didn't @#$% it up!

Miracles happen every day!

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
ScoredogBucopickitjohnNylonDave

Comments

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Great crooning - eat your heart out shade of Al Bowlly!
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4,732
    And a very nice solo Will!

PS I was humming this tune the whole morning.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Nice job Will, thanks for posting it!
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Yes, I liked the solo too.
    Looks like Louis Armstrong's repertoire is coming into its own again, with Tcha Limberger singing I Surrender Dear and Someday You'll be Sorry (which Armstrong apparently wrote whereas AKTBADO was composed by Hammerstein & Co).

Old Man Mose anybody?
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Very sweet.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,855
    Thanks, everyone.

Just for the record, "A Kiss to Build a Dream On" was composed by the great team of Bert Kalmar and Harry Ruby, songwriters for some of the early Marx Brothers films.

They also wrote the 30's swing standard "Three Little Words" immortalized by Django and Stephane.

Now I must say I am happy, but not too surprised, to learn of Tcha Limburger's love of Tin Pan Alley pop/jazz standards.

Not surprised because at his Django in June concert in 2013, I was very pleased to hear Tcha play another one of my favourite early 30's obscurities, "When Your Lover Has Gone".

Tcha, if you are listening....!!!... Next time you are in North America.... come to Buffalo NY and sit in with my band! And bring along your clarinet, too!!!

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    I had a tiny bit of pride when I accidentally dug out "one day you'll be sorry" and started to play it with my old band. I'm even more happy to hear that Tcha is singing it.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Are you sure Tcha plays clarinet too? I know he is amazing but it is one of the rare instruments I never saw or heard him play
    From his website:
    Born into a family of Belgian Manouche Gypsy musicians, Tcha Limberger was playing guitar and clarinet in the family orchestra by the time he was a teenager.

The rest is here:

http://tchalimberger.com/budapest-gypsy-orchestra/interview-pursuing-a-passion-for-gypsy-violin-fiddler-magazine/
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the listen, great to hear GJ being played in that part of the world.