DjangoBooks.com

What do you think of this tailpiece ?

Comments

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Bones wrote: »
    Andrew, yes what is going on behind the bridge doesn't enter into those equations unless I'm missing something.

The only thing I can figure is that the extra length of string beyond the nut and bridge provides more material to stretch (assuming the string is free to slip at the nut and bridge), allowing for easier bending. Maybe someone else has some thoughts?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Well it's kind of the same idea as the old Epiphone 'Frequencator" arch top tailpieces. Look pretty cool. Not sure how it affects tone but probably not a first order kind of thing and not something that (significantly) affects string tension. Tension is pretty much just tension between the nut and bridge (note, those equations assume an infinitely rigid end points so if you add some compliance behind the bridge and nut that will have some affect, depending on how much friction there is at the nut and bridge slots) but it will not be enough to notice me thinks. Sure probably adds a bit of extra 'compliance' (opposite of stiffness) behind the bridge but again that is a higher order kind of thing. In fact, now that I think about it a little I'm guessing if you added complicance to the whole thing you might have to actually increase (???) string tension to get the string to resonate at pitch???
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I guess I should say that those equations (like most of physics) are approximations/simplifications that are 99.9999....% correct. They make a lot of assumptions and neglect effects that are not significant (hence, negligible). Does it significantly affect tension? No. Does it affect string 'stiffness' and 'feel'? Yes probably a little. Is it noticable? Not sure. Tone? Subjective.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Interesting thoughts around this. Thanks for posting everyone,
    always learning
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah interesting topic. Will be interested to see more pics and hear how you notice any tonal changes once you get it. Again, not to come off as negative, I like the looks of it. I was planning to use a standard type Selmer tailpiece on the guitar I'm building right now but this has me interested in trying something unique instead.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Tailpiece arrived. First impressions are that it's obviously handmade and is smaller across the base than your average Selmer style tailpiece. It arrives flat with only the bottom hole drilled so I need to drill the two upper screwholes and then bend the thing. I weighed the tailpiece against a DR one and the Boonstra weighs in at 74 grammes v 48 g for the DR - a 50% difference. In terms of thickness the Boonstra is 1.8 mm thick and the DR 0.9 mm so quite a difference there. I get the feeling that this is quite a substantial tailpiece, what difference that has on the sound I have yet to find out. One important point to note is that the Boonstra only accepts loop end strings as the posts are not drilled for ball ends.
    Buco
    always learning
  • hmmmmm.....now I will be very interested in your report.

No holes limits the string options
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,730
    Tailpiece arrived. First impressions are that it's obviously handmade and is smaller across the base than your average Selmer style tailpiece. It arrives flat with only the bottom hole drilled so I need to drill the two upper screwholes and then bend the thing. I weighed the tailpiece against a DR one and the Boonstra weighs in at 74 grammes v 48 g for the DR - a 50% difference. In terms of thickness the Boonstra is 1.8 mm thick and the DR 0.9 mm so quite a difference there. I get the feeling that this is quite a substantial tailpiece, what difference that has on the sound I have yet to find out. One important point to note is that the Boonstra only accepts loop end strings as the posts are not drilled for ball ends.

So what do you think, sound better?

@Bones what I wanted to ask is this, if as you say (and it makes perfect sense to me) the string terminates at the bridge and what happens behind doesn't have a noticeably significant effect, why do so many people use that velcro trick, I've seen a cloth and similar, to help bring a dryer sound?
    If that trick does work then it could be that this tailpiece makes a difference as well?

(you see, I'm looking for a reason to get one : ) )
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Nice looking tailpiece. I'd be surprised if it really changes the sound of the guitar at all, but I still like it...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Buco, on my new guitar I just slapped on one of those cheapo Saga tailpieces that I think are a thinner gage metal and with the short scale and 10s the string tension was low and it seemed like I was getting some sympathetic ringing (slight) between the bridge and the tailpiece so I put on the velcro to help damp that out. Plus I added some little pieces of vibration dampening material (automotive body stuff) to the underside of the tailpiece. That worked but the proper fix (after lacquer) is a set of 11s and a proper DR or Gallato tailpiece which is heavier gage metal. I just used the Saga because I had one in stock and was in a hurry.