DjangoBooks.com

What do you think of this tailpiece ?

Comments

• edited December 2017 Posts: 3,707
    I was wondering about that one too Bones, looking at the bridge of the guitar in the pics it looked like the bass side was higher but without looking at the whole in context not sure what that has done to the break angles of those strings.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Bones wrote: »
    ... I don't see the point of the taller posts but I may be missing some second order effect.

If all the standard-height loop posts were at the edge near the tail block, the break angle would be at maximum. The closer these posts get to the bridge, the higher they will be, hence a shallower break angle. And using a taller post would also raise the loop end and lessen the break angle at any given distance from the bridge. Less angle, less pressure on the top, less volume (theoretically).
  • plexi69plexi69 New
    Gretsch had a similar looking type "harp" tailpiece on their earlier archtops.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,319
    Yes, like I said, the amount of the height difference you actually get due to the higher posts is dependent on the bending stiffness of the tailpiece. This tailpiece must be stiffer than a Selmer tailpiece (sheetmetal) since a Selmer tailpiece would be contorted by the higher posts (more bending moment on the tall posts). This is not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation. Sonic-ally, who knows, just have to try it.
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    The left portion of the third picture shows an effective method of eliminating string tension, according to my calculations.
  • How do you eliminate string tension, its the only way to get the string to pitch.....if you eliminate downward pressure you get no sound transmission
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,319
    Hmmmmm.... love to see those calcs.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
  • Now if I can figure out how to post a 22 page book on bridge and nut tuning written by a PhD physicist replete with similar level math. Whew
    AndrewUlle
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Andrew, yes what is going on behind the bridge doesn't enter into those equations unless I'm missing something.