DjangoBooks.com

Minor Swing Youtube Covers

JohnVBJohnVB PDX, Orygun✭✭✭ Gitane D-500 #051
edited December 2017 in Repertoire Posts: 32
I've recently been attempting to transcribe and then actually play Django's solos from the 1937 recording of Minor Swing. Obviously, that dreaded chromatic-triplet run is the source of much grief, and while I've worked out the notes, the execution is certainly a challenge. While on my quest, I've had fun checking out various Youtube covers of the solos, which appear to be attempts at note-for-note performances.
I notice that while the notes are nearly correct (with the same few being NOT what Django played), the phrasing and feel are usually totally missed.

Here's one by Romino Grünholz (? I believe, who has played rhythm for Paulus Schäfer ?) where the phrasing is pretty similar to the original recording.

https://youtu.be/8eK6foNcoR8

So what versions can you recommend?

I'm hoping to post my own sometime in January, with phrase breakdown and whatnot, which, while actually including the 'correct' notes, fingerings and most-likely picking directions, will be somewhat different from everything currently out there.
E=Fb : The Theory of Relativity
wim

Comments

• JohnVBJohnVB PDX, Orygun✭✭✭ Gitane D-500 #051
    I notice that Romino's picking on the triplet run here appears to be strict alternate picking, btw.
  • BonesBones Moderator

try this one
    JohnVBJosechiky
    edited December 2017 Posts: 32
    I thought for a moment there it was going to be all done with two fingers!

Unfortunately can't make out the fretting hand at all here either.

The opening chordal phrase is mostly missing, so can't tell if it was done 'correctly,' and it looks like he plays "Phrase 4" (the ascending part last measure of 1st E7 chord) as a diminished arpeggio, when it's actually G#, Bb, D, F instead of G#, B, D, F... I've noticed most people play it that way, and not sure if it because they haven't listened to the Django version, or are correcting what they see as a mistake.

Denis Chang's transcription goes with the B instead of Bb also. See attached image of this.

edited December 2017 Posts: 32
    @dennis , do you have any insight on this? (The playing of B instead of Bb on the 4th phrase of Django's '37 minor swing solo, chorus #1)
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,319
    I think everyone has their own way of doing things, even 'transcriptions' (at least I do them however I like/prefer). Makes it easier for me to remember that way rather than being stuck with trying to copy exactly. But if u r hard over trying to do it exactly like Django with the two fingers maybe check out some of this stuff. Not that same version but he does some other 2 finger transcriptions that might give you some clues.

youtube.com/user/lartilleux/videos

Interesting channel!
    So, he does play the 1937 solos in this video, with the triplet run around the 6:50 mark. Unfortunately they're going way to fast (around 230bpm) and he totally flubs the phrase.

I've got Chorus #1 transcribed and 'proofread,' and think I have a pretty good idea of pick direction. It seems like, if in doubt, record yourself playing the phrase a variety of ways, and then listen to them against the original track to see which matches up most closely. It's hard to listen that objectively while playing... for me, anyway.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Oh cool, which video does he do the 1937 solo. I didn't really look for it can you post a link? Thanks
    Oops. Sorry! I thought I included the link.
    https://youtu.be/oRE-QA5D5mo
    Starts at 5:33
    He adds some ornamentation not found in the original either... but pretty much going for note-for-note recreation seems like. But at 230bpm instead of the original 200(?)bpm.