DjangoBooks.com

Petite Fleur

wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
edited November 2017 in Welcome Posts: 1,454
Recorded in Los Angeles on this day 2 years ago ..

Shawn Oshmiansky - Clarinet
Brad Brose and Wim Glenn - Guitars
Felix Kochendörfer - Bass

NylonDaveterrassierTubaphoneBuco

Comments

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Sounds great Wim. Man did I miss the filthy impact of Bernard Zacharias. Can you imagine if he had been there ?

Wonderful clarinet playing and a real nice controlled largo with everyone really nicely together. Guitars sound great. I didn't love all the chord moves but don't think I would have done any better.

You should share more.

D.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Beautiful. Thanks for posting. Love that song.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    My trio played this great old tune recently, too.

"Dr. Jazz & the Jazzbugs": Brian Bauer on clarinet; Ed Woods on bass and me Will Wilson on guitar.

I'm not real proud of my guitar solo, but I've posted this mostly so you guys can hear what it sounds like if you mount your Ischell pickup inside the guitar, under the bridge.

It's really worked great for me.
    wimTubaphone
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • roch@rochlockyer.com[email protected] new mexico (current)✭✭
    Nice Job Fellas!!!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    BTW, did Django ever record or gig with Sidney Bechet?
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,707
    Not to my knowledge
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hmmm, too bad, that seems like it would have been cool
  • Yes indeed. Would love to have a recording of DR and Sidney
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Nice tune! well done Win!

Sydney Bechet and Django together? Who knows what might have been the result, very interesting of course... Such Fact is that Sydney decided to settle in France in 1949 after the International Jazz Festival where he had a great success even if the event was long considered a "modern" answer to the previous 1948 Festival in Nice juged more traditionnal than evolutive.

The 1949 Festival presented Charlie Parker and Miles Davis or Max Roach but also traditionnal "New-orleans revival" musicians such as Hot Lips Page, Jimmy Mc. Partland or Claude Lutter ...

Django didn't play in that Festival even if he was listed and had already returned from Italy. He had big teeth problems at this time. Soon after in 1951 Django begun to play traditionnal tunes such as "Margie" with a completely new and modern approach. Obviously he was really far from Bechet but in the same period we know he didn't hesitate to play with Hot Lips Page in Knokke-Le-Zout.

I guess so that he would have occasionnaly played also with Sydney Bechet even if he had decided in that time to play (his own) Bebop.

We have to note that Bechet had the same fame in France in the fifties that Django had in the forties. He was a star and everybody knew him (not only jazz lovers). I remember year ago (when Internet wasn't yet on) I bought a record maybe from Vogue where both musicians performed and had the deception to hear them on separate tracks...
    Buco