DjangoBooks.com

songs in the style of bossa

Comments

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited November 2017 Posts: 462
    I wonder if you are being facetious there Bones. But I can kind of hear a way of doing it, how are you hearing it ? I don't think it would be so nice with every note in the melody played in the same place, maybe a few pushes and a few notes dropped to give it space could be nice. Saying that I am hearing it as a Brazilian bossa maybe pretty slow and soft. Are you thinking of it like a Brusque Choro ? I am not sure the head is pretty enough to support even eights at a fast tempo, though no doubt there will be someone to make it sing. Django's lines definitely would work as Choro though.

I won't be doing it on guitar though, but thanks for the suggestion. I haven't really listened carefully to that track before.

And it's fun tonight to try to turn it round my sleepless head to see if it could ever be played slow and soft instead, and slow and low not watch it go but reach with arms apart so when it lands meet not mere hands but pierce a tender heart.

D.
  • If you want to understand the roots of bossa check out the work of Django contemporary Oscar Aleman
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited November 2017 Posts: 3,319
    Hey ND, no seriously. I'll try it myself and if I can get set up to record it somehow I'll post. I'm just thinking a straight GJ style 'bossa' medium tempo would 'work' for sure. The bridge might be weird-ish but might switch back to a swing for that but actually now that I am thinking about it maybe some sort of legato rhythm just on the down beat of each measure or something like that for the bridge. Hmmmm, interesting project.
  • QuadropentaQuadropenta New England USANew
    Search blue bossa gypsy on Youtube for Stochelo, Jimmy, Andreas and others playing the standard "Blue Bossa"
  • Accckk no not Blue Bossa .....noooooooooooooo
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    Accckk no not Blue Bossa .....noooooooooooooo

All this prejudice, no wonder it's blue.

Buco
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    If you want to understand the roots of bossa check out the work of Django contemporary Oscar Aleman

Bossa Nova is a worthy worm hole to go down. I would add in addition to the great Argentinian there are also some Brazilian composers and performers to check out.

Villa Lobos, Garoto, Luiz Bonfa and Baden Powell, in that order.

There is an excellent instructional DVD by another guitarist significant in Brazil called Romero Lubambo where he explores the history of the style starting with Bonfa and explaining how the style and its rhythms evolved from Samba and incorporate elements of traditional Brazilian percussion.

A wonderful explanation of the style is contained in 'The Brazilian Guitar Book by Nelson Faria'. In addition there is The Latin Real Book by Sher Publications.

D.
  • Oscar started to transition from Choro/Samba that he likely learned early on and was influenced by US jazz a la Django. The Nazi's confiscated his National steel guitar when he was leaving to go back home.
    Have you played any Garoto Jay ? Beautiful stuff and it so obviously bridges the gap between the classical folk influenced style of Villa Lobos and the, at the time avante garde Baden Powell.

Not sure how but his set of Mandolin variations found it's way into the Gypsy jazz fake book. That's real fun to play and in terms of melodic construction it is pretty much identical to Gypsy Waltzes. And this style is rooted in Choro, it's Bach with a bit of a chromatic twist, lovely stuff.
  • QuadropentaQuadropenta New England USANew