DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Guitar teachers in Victoria BC?

renatolongorenatolongo Victoria BCNew 2016 Geronimo Mateos Jazz B
in Welcome Posts: 2
Greetings all. Can anyone recommend a good Gypsy Jazz guitar person teaching in or near Victoria Canada?

Many thanks
Paul

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Ask Mitchell Green, he knows all the traditional Django stuff

Quinn Bachand is from Victoria too but he's going to school in Boston
  • cavemusiccavemusic Edmonton, Alberta 2010 JWC Modele Jazz, 2015 Jean Barault Grande Bouche with resonator, 1947 Kay upright bass, Django finger puppet
    Reuben Weir.
    Kevin
  • Aaron Watson may still be teaching at the Conservatory.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • TDogTDog Victoria, BCNew Shelley Park Montmartre; Cigano GJ 5
    I'm also in Vic and looking for lessons.

Marc Atkinson put me in touch with Reuben Weir, but I didn't get a response so not sure if he is still teaching. I haven't studied with Aaron Watson but he seems like a super nice guy and when I talked to him in the summer he said he was at the conservatory part time.

Paul, if you are looking for someone to jam with let me know - I'm working towards being able to play through a set of gypsy jazz standards (minor swing, sweet georgia brown, honeysuckle rose etc) and the only people I know in Vic who play gypsy jazz are out of my league.

Cheers, Tim

• The small group of us that are into it have been into it a long time. Rueben is pretty busy as are Mitchell, Chris Sartison,Stewart Munro and I just focus on rhythm on guitar.

I would say the best bet is Aaron.
  • renatolongorenatolongo Victoria BCNew 2016 Geronimo Mateos Jazz B
    Thank you for the info, much appreciated. I will check into Aaron. I have also heard that Avarm (Devon) Mccagherty is a good instructor as is Casey Ryder. TDog & Jazzaferri keep me in the loop if there is any GJ jams. I am wanting focus mainly on rhythm as well.
  • For your money, IMO the best bet for beginners in rhythm is go to Dennis Chang's DC music school. His rhythm course is a great way to get started the right way from one of the best teachers in this genre

he is online here as @dennis If you really want to get into it check out his homestay in Montreal program.