DjangoBooks.com

Beginner gear

Hi so I’m gonna make the leap from standard jazz to Gypsy jazz finally. Can anyone recommend a good guitar ie.. brand model etc.. I don’t want a cheap one I’m only going to sell as I progress but rather something I’m gonna keep and stay with for a long time. I don’t have any shops near me where I can walk in and try so I’m relegated to buy online. I was thinking about a Mateos I saw online but I don’t really know much.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent
    I would suggest looking at Altamira guitars. I made the transition to gypsy jazz about a year and a half ago, and bought an Altamira M-01D from Michael at that time which i'm still really happy with. I've had far more experienced players with far more expensive guitars compliment me on the way mine plays and sounds. I did have to get a setup from my local luthier after it arrived, but i've been very happy with it ever since. I'm inspired to play whenever i pick it up, and that's what i was hoping to find in my first GJ guitar.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • comeau69comeau69 New
    Thanks I’ll check them out. How did you find the transition to GJ ?
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Mateos is a good choice.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • I hope you have watched/listened to Michael's video demo of guitars within $2000-4000 (assuming that is your price range) on this website? Almost as good as going to a physical store. Lots of good models here. And if you see something you like you don't have to wait for months for the guitar to be built.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • comeau69comeau69 New
    No I haven’t seen the video
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 88
    You know where to find them, yes? Sent you a private email with urls. Also, don't forget to do a search in this forum. It's a popular topic. In fact, just scroll down and you'll see a relevant discussion on "WTB: My first Gypsy Jazz/Manouche guitar"
    comeau69
  • comeau69comeau69 New
    Thanks I’m kinda new here and have to figure out some navigation thanks for the hep
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    I bought my Mateos online (in Europe) and I've been very happy with it.
    comeau69
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent
    Comeau69, you asked about my transition to gypsy jazz. Like many, i came from a blues rock background. That led to studies of straight-ahead jazz/bebop, which led me to GJ, which i've loved for decades, but never knew how to play. Now that i can play it to some degree, i've never been happier playing music. The key elements in the transition for me were: 1) a great teacher. It saves a lot of time and effort to have the right teacher show you correct technique from the start. This way you dont waste time learning things incorrectly that will plague you later. 2) decent gear. You're working on that, take your time hunting it down. And rely on Michael and this forum, two tremendous fountains of valuable information. 3) surround yourself with great GJ musicians. I'm fortunate to live in a town (Asheville NC) with lots of great GJ players and a weekly GJ jam where all skill levels are welcome. I learn something new every time i play this music with a good player. 4) practice, practice, practice, and try to be patient! I hope that helps.
    BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsMichaelHorowitzcomeau69
  • comeau69comeau69 New
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9
    thanks MikeK! That sounds pretty much like my pre-GJ background. How did you find a teacher? Every teacher I’ve found is basically an online teacher/course. Anything local I’ve come across is either rock and blues or basic jazz. Can you recommend a better course of action looking for a teacher other than the basic teacher online searches.
    Anyway Thanks for the reply [