DjangoBooks.com

Bireli's guitar at concert "au Gres du Jazz"?

Does anyone know what guitar Bireli used at his acoustic quartet concert "au Gres du Jazz"? Here's a youtube link to the concert:

wim

Comments

Couple of good shots of both the soundhole and headstock but the label and logo have too much light reflection and couldn't make anything out of it. I didn't watch the whole thing though.
    Aren't Sel-Macs the hardest guitars in the world to identify?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Here is a clear pic from 23:48.
    Buco
    I think that says "SELMER".
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    That guitar is an original Selmer Maccaferri that had a 14 fret neck installed on it. The work was done a long time ago. Bireli just borrowed it for the concert but wanted to buy it as it’s he said it sounds incredible. Unfortunately it’s not for sale....
    Bucowim
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Michael, do you know what scale length the new neck is? I'm assuming they wanted to keep the bridge in about the same place relative to the pliage?

thanks
    @Bones I don’t know the scale legnth but by the looks of it I’d say 660mm. You could probably figure it out by comparing with images of various Selmers.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Frankenselmer! It sounds great. Was that a tenor or 6-string originally?
    @Wim Glenn sorry....I don’t know what it’s original string configuration was.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 6,153
    I just heard from another, more reliable source, that this was actually originally a petite bouche Selmer that had been damaged and then was retopped with a D hole in Argentina. Eitherway, it's certainly had quite a life, even finding its way into Bireli's hands!
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    and no zero fret! now the interesting question is on the sound of Selmers...has this guitar a typical Selmer sound? only partially I think, can we say that the part of Selmer sound that remains comes from original back and sides as all the rest has been changed (neck, table, etc.)?