DjangoBooks.com

Manouche Picks Small Jazz

Here I thought I would spend the rest of my days using my Blue Chip Kenny Smith 1.5mm.

I just bought a Small Jazz 2mm from Michael and its pretty much as quiet as my Blue Chips and I am preferring the slightly crisper attack. Not quite as sharp as a BC Tri Point tip and it works just right on my MC20-14. Be interesting to get home and try it on my Ultrafox.

Great Pick Jokko and thanks to Michael for the suggestion.

The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
BucoShemiMichaelHorowitzConorF

Comments

Jokko is probably the best fancy pick maker in the world now.
    Blue Chip is great but the advantage of Jokko is he offers so many different materials that all have different sounding characteristics.
    Although the majority of the time I still use BC SR60, Jokko made picks get their share. If I need to cut through a loud jam I use the white shellrin, it's a pretty hard material but still without too much click noise (at least in 2mm).
    Then late at night at home I grab a black tortoise, it's super warm sounding, sings so sweet.
    Then there's fake ivory which is right in between, good all around choice.
    My favorite though was red lava stone which I gifted to a friend. But I miss it so I was thinking about writing to Jokko soon. I asked him to make it in Romino shape with extra rounded tip, kinda like the SR60 and I loved it.
    Him being such great guy is really worth supporting his endeavor.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • On your suggtestion Buco, I will get a few more. As you say it is worth supporting his endeavour
    Hey thanks Jay.

I feel that the lava stone material is closest in feel and tone to what BC is using.
    It's both warm and projects well and is slightly sticky between the fingers.
    And that seems to be what Adam Schlenker prefers. Although he's a bluegrass picker, he was a big BC devotee before discovering Jokko's picks.
    He says he gets a great sound using BC but that Jokko's pick glides better off the strings and the sound is just as good. Which is saying a lot for Jokko's picks because I thing that's one of BC biggest strengths.

Jokko's material descriptions can be confusing sometimes, I feel that sometimes he's using a different name for the same material though I can't be certain. For example I called this pick that I have shellrin in my last post because that seemed the closest to his current materials descriptions but when I thought about I think when I was ordering it was described as faux bone...I think. For everyday playing that one is my least favorite although like I mentioned it's a good tool for cutting through the noise.
    Now he offers "Cotton Fibre Acrylic Copolymer" as his latest material.
    He's a mad scientist in a very good way.
  • Lava stone it will be. I'll try a couple of Vintage Small Jazz in Lava Stone
    Buco
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    I love Jokko’s picks. They are the answer to my pick search: tacky, great sound, last forever. I have three of the tritone picks (3 different beveled edges in one pic) in 1.5 and 2 mm. I try other picks every now and then and always return.
    Been eying that tritip. And mando, and Django...
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    I have a 6mm Django. I like it in a strange way, however I don't use it much. It has a nice warm tone, but it is a bit noisy. I hear the potential in the material and the shape, I just think that if it were maybe thinner, it would clink a little less on the strings. One of these days, I'll try a thinner one.

Just what I need - more picks.
    One thing I know, I will never get a pick over 2mm in thickness.
    Anything over that will have a dreaded click.
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    While on the subject, I've got to plug Jokko's "the Circle." I don't see it on Michael's site, but it's a great pick for rhythm players. The pick is circular in shape with the little holes in the middle (so it looks like a button). It never feels like it is moving or slipping about (the cricular shape and material take care of that!). Thus, I can focus on playing and have a great tone and feel. I use the 2.2 mm thickness and 25 mm diameter in both the tortoise and ivory. No clicking whatsoever in either pick.
    I remember you mentioned "the circle" before.
    Jokko still doesn't list it on his site so it's good to have a reminder. It makes a perfect sense as a concept.